Autify, Inc. is a start-up company founded in San Francisco by a team of Japanese engineers. We develop and provide Autify, an AI-based software test automation platform. Since its official release in October 2019, Autify has been implemented by more than 300 clients.
Internationally minded engineers
Almost half of our engineering team is non-Japanese, and we’re all fluent English speakers, so we don’t require any Japanese ability. We currently have ten engineers, including the CTO and a designer.
We’re open to people living abroad looking to relocate to Japan to join us, so long as you’re a Japanese citizen or eligible for a visa to work as a software engineer. You may work as a subcontractor until you obtain a visa. We’re also open to people who don’t want to relocate to Japan, provided you’re willing to work during Japanese business hours.
Two week sprints and lots of automated testing
Our development process kicks off by creating a ticket describing what kind of feature we’ll develop. In some cases, the product owner creates it based on user feedback, and in other cases, each team creates bugs and investigation requests directly.
We’re rooted in Scrum, and our development cycle consists of a two-week sprint. Development tasks are assigned during the planning stage on the first day of the sprint, and we hold a daily standup meeting to check the overall progress and any problems.
We review code on GitHub. After the review, the merged branches are automatically deployed to the staging environment, and E2E tests are performed (which Autify does itself).
After testing on the integrated branch, it’s deployed to the production environment. Deployment is done as needed, usually several times a week. Developers themselves will demo what they’ve worked on.
As you can imagine, having a technical product aimed as developers means engineering drives our company. Some ways this manifests itself are:
- Tech is selected at each member’s discretion
- We’re active adopting new tech
- We actively work to pay off technical debt we create
- There is a learning support allowance for technical skill improvement
- We’ll lend you a PC with your desired specs, external monitors, etc.
We’re working completely remotely. We do have face-to-face all-hands meetings once per quarter, where we rent a space in Tokyo for everyone to get together. Because of this, there’s no need for you to live in Tokyo, though we would prefer you live somewhere in Japan (once a visa can be arranged).
Ruby on Rails and Go on the backend, TypeScript and React on the frontend
- Backend: Ruby, Ruby on Rails, Go
- Machine learning: Python
- Database: PostgreSQL, Redis
- Test: Jest, Selenium, WebdriverIO, Puppeteer
- Infrastructure: AWS, Docker, Terraform, Packer
- Monitoring: New Relic, Sentry, Papertrail
- CI/CD: CircleCI
- Source code management: GitHub
- Project management: ClickUp
- Misc.: G Suite, Slack, Notion, Discord, Zoom, 1Password, Mixmax, Calendly, etc.
Our response to COVID-19
With COVID-19, we moved from working remotely one day per week to working completly remotely. We used to have an office, but cancelled it in June 2020, to completely shift our work style to remote work.
About the position
- Work with other engineers, designers, and product leads to implement features that provide a better user experience while being mindful of performance and accessibility.
- Similarly, proactively identify functions that can be improved, improve the existing frontend mechanism and the quality of the code, and facilitate future development.
- Improve the frontend architecture so that the entire team can easily develop and introduce new functions and change existing functions.
- Developing frontend web applications using TypeScript, React, Redux, Ruby on Rails
- Developing Chrome extensions for recording user actions using TypeScript, React, and Redux
- Developing test execution workers using TypeScript, WebdriverIO, and Puppeteer
- Developing UI component base
- Over 3 years of development experience using frameworks such as React, Vue.js, Angular
- Over 1 year of experience in developing backend using frameworks using any language
- Experience with modern development processes incorporating Agile and Scrum
- Experience in E2E test automation with Selenium and Appium
- ISTQB/JSTQB certification
Desired personality traits
- Produces results in the shortest time without overly seeking perfection
- High and clear ideals, self-awareness, and spares no effort for self-growth
- Takes ownership and gets involved until the end
- Can face issues from the user’s point of view and sympathizes
- High awareness of design such as usability, accessibility, etc.
Our hiring process
- Online coding test
- Technical assignment
- Technical interview + HR interview
- Final interview