Founded in 2014 by entrepreneurs from Zipcar and Tesla Motors, Drivemode is fundamentally changing vehicle technology for drivers – we enable smarter and safer connected driving in any vehicle.
Drivemode has built a mobile-based connected vehicle platform which integrates directly with the vehicle to bring key communication and navigation features, while putting your vehicle’s data right at your fingertips. Our products are used by millions of riders and drivers in over 150 countries. In 2019 we were acquired by Honda as an independent subsidiary to integrate our platform directly into Honda vehicles around the world.
Small team that plays big
We’re a small team of 20 with offices in Silicon Valley and Tokyo. We’re a group of entrepreneurs who focus on speed, learning, flexibility, and using data to drive decision-making. Our team is very multicultural and actively encourages speaking up to share ideas or opinions, regardless of your job title. Our official language (spoken and written) is English. We love challenges, the bigger, the better. If that sounds like you, come join us.
Drivemode’s tech stack
- Android: Kotlin, Java, Dagger 2, RxJava, gRPC, Gradle, Android Studio
- iOS: Swift, SwiftUI, Xcode, Carthage
- Server/Infrastructure: Node.js, NestJS, PostgreSQL, gRPC, Docker, Cloud Run, Firebase, PubSub, DataFlow, Google Cloud Platform
- Version control: Git/GitHub
- CI/CD: GitHub Actions (Self Hosted), DeployGate, Fastlane
- Communication: Slack, Google Meet, Email
- Project management: Jira Software, Trello
- Analytics: BigQuery, Firebase Analytics, Jupyter, Pandas, scikit-learn
- Others: Google Workspace, OneSky
Be the next Drivemoder
Joining our team means taking on the biggest challenges in vehicle technology today by bringing together modern software design with the next generation of hardware to improve the safety of millions on the road every day. To accomplish this, we need people who aren’t afraid to take on big, unique challenges to fundamentally improve the driving experience. We need entrepreneurial thinkers who can respond rapidly to change and explore new technologies. If that sounds like you, come talk to us.
Our response to COVID-19
Starting from March 2020, Drivemode has encouraged all employees to work remotely and avoid face-to-face communication unless it is absolutely necessary. During this time, Drivemode has provided support for employees with subsidies for improving work from home environments. Due to this unforeseen circumstance in our day-to-day life and also in the irregular immigration activity as well as air travel restrictions, we have decided to hold any application from outside of Japan unless with eligibility to work in Japan. We will continue to observe the situation and open positions to those that live outside of Japan once we confirm the safety.
Drivemode was already a “remote team” before COVID-19, and we’ll continue to be with offices in multiple locations. However, due to the nature of work that happens inside Drivemode, there is a need to be at the office together from time to time when developing new products that involve hardware prototypes. In the long-term we plan to gradually return to the office when it is safe to do so.
Our hiring process for engineer position
- HR Application Screen and Casual Discussion
- Coding Test (One or Two depending on the position)
- Video interviews – Usually three to four Interviews with the hiring team and the management
About the position
As a member of our Android development team, your responsibility is to conduct deep technical evaluation of hardware integrations that will increase driver’s safety while also delivering pixel-perfect UI to provide a rich connected driving experience.
We are looking for proactive and highly motivated mobile app engineers with deep knowledge of the frameworks and tools they use, experience building mobile apps, and a strong desire to learn and grow. We look forward to hearing from you!
You Will Do:
- Integrate in-vehicle solutions with hardware products and API partners
- Work directly with product and UX design teams to refine product specs
- Design and implement solutions to improve app quality and development processes
- Develop prototypes and proof of concept apps quickly
Qualifications - Required:
- Strong object-oriented software development experience
- Experience in building consumer facing Android apps in Kotlin and Java
- Strong architectural skills and API design techniques to keep a clean and maintainable code base
- Deep understanding of Android frameworks and Jetpack libraries
- Experience with automated unit and integration testing
- Ability to communicate with team members in English (written and spoken)
Qualifications - Preferred:
- Familiarity with Android Bluetooth APIs
- Experience with building CI enviroments and use of static analysis tools to improve code quality
- Being familiar with Agile development environment
- Experience with localization and internationalization of apps
- Designing of APIs, database schemas and backend systems