As the world’s number 1 job site, our mission is to help people get jobs. We need talented, passionate people working together to make this happen. We are looking to grow our teams with people who share our energy and enthusiasm for creating the best experience for job seekers.
We are looking for world class engineers from across the globe. We offer globally competitive compensation that is superior within the market, an excellent international relocation package to get you here, and culture and Japanese language training to help you adapt to your new home.
We have an open vacation policy giving you time to rest and recharge. We abhor crunch time and artificial deadlines and promote a sustainable work pace with a rational number of hours in each day and work week, so you have time to spend with family and friends, or pursuing other interests.
Our teams are autonomous, self-sufficient and self-directed, own their product and engineering, are empowered to decide goals, metrics, targets and initiatives, and solve novel problems with a blend of proven and cutting edge technology and innovative approaches.
We conduct business in English and apply the same management practices globally. At the same time our Tokyo offices are a paragon of multiculturalism, with over 35 nationalities represented, and is an expression of the value Indeed places on diversity in multiple dimensions.
We have meals catered daily, gaming rooms with billiards, ping pong, video consoles and more, and even a climbing wall in our Ebisu office. A large variety of free snacks and beverages are supplied, there a weekly happy hours and many other social events throughout each month.
About the position
The Challenge Markets Messaging team builds software enabling millions of people to find and apply for jobs on the messaging platform they like best. This is a pretty significant undertaking, as there are a lot of open questions as to how to provide the best experience for users on messaging platforms, which means we do a lot of experimentation at scale. It’s a big challenge, but it’s also a lot of fun.
Working with us means:
- Doing pair-programming and test-driven development (BDD/TDD) most of the time.
- Being part of a cross-functional team, where engineers work hand-in-hand with product managers and UX designers to create a great experience for our users.
- Taking ownership over the systems we build and maintain: identifying and collaboratively implementing architectural improvements, breaking down ideas into small, concrete steps that we can validate iteratively, etc.
- Shipping high-quality software at speed, ideally multiple times per day.
- Actively participating in and helping to drive team decisions about what we build and how we work.
- Working at a sustainable pace. We focus hard and get things done during the day, and then we go home on-time afterwards.
- Have a strong sense of ownership in everything you build.
- Be highly motivated to Help People Get Jobs, by solving problems faced by job-seekers and employers around the world.
- Possess strong architecture and software-design skills.
- Have 5+ years of experience in building and shipping production software, ideally across the full stack.
- Also, there are lots of great programmers in every language, but we work in Java. You should either know Java fairly well, or be willing to learn on the quick.
It’s also great if you have:
- Experience in pair-programming and test-driven development (TDD).
- Built and delivered software at scale for high-traffic sites and high-load systems.
- Worked in an environment with lots of A/B testing.
- Experience with internationalization and localization.
The base salary range below represents the low and high end of the Indeed salary range for this position. Actual salaries will vary and may be above or below the range based on various factors including but not limited to location, experience, and performance. The range listed is just one component of Indeed’s total compensation package for employees. Other rewards include quarterly bonuses, Long Term Incentive Plan units, an open Paid Time Off policy, and many region-specific benefits.
Tokyo Base Salary Range: 11,770,000 - 14,470,000 JPY per year