About LINE Fukuoka
LINE Fukuoka is a subsidiary of LINE Corp. that was established in order to take advantage of the city’s unique initiatives. Our LINE SMART CITY FOR FUKUOKA project is part of a partnership agreement with the city itself, where we use state-of-the-art technology in areas like AI and Fintech to help make Fukuoka a richer, more convenient, and future-oriented “Smart City”.
About half of engineering team members come from overseas, and even if you’re not based in Japan, we welcome you to apply
We’ll teach you Japanese
We have a robust English support team and there are many English-speaking employees. Successful applicants without Japanese language skills will be required to attend a Japanese language course for at least the first three months to one year after joining LINE Fukuoka. The language course is sponsored by LINE and is an excellent opportunity to acquire the language.
Many of our development engineers work from home. In certain circumstances, we may ask you to come into the office though, so we require that you be able to come into the office by 11am.
A young city and workforce
Fukuoka has the highest proportion of young people of major cities in Japan. LINE Fukuoka’s workforce is also young, with 87% of employees in their twenties or thirties.
Our response to COVID-19
Although the work location is in Fukuoka, most engineers currently work from home, prioritizing prevention of COVID-19. After COVID-19 comes to an end, we plan to offer a work style that combines working from home and coming to work. More details are available in Japanese.
About the position
Your duties will include development of web-based features embedded in various LINE apps, and development of web application services pertaining to LINE Family Services.
Throughout the web app development process, you will closely work with your team members which will be comprised of planners, designers, and backend engineers. Furthermore, you will be expected to actively provide your input as an expert in web development to ensure optimal user experience. Specifically for globalized services, your tasks will consist of making performance or UX improvements while taking the mobile network environment of other countries into consideration.
Technology we use
- At least 3 years of experience developing PC and smart device web applications
- SPA (Single-page Application) implementation experience
- Knowledge of accessibility / utility
- Knowledge of CSS pre-processors
- Experience with various development tools (e.g. build tools, task runners, etc.)
- Motivation to learn Japanese.
Nice to haves
These aren’t required, but be sure to mention them in your application if you have them.
- Experience developing native iOS applications (Swift/Objective-C)
- Experience developing native Android applications (Java/Kotlin)
- Experience developing with server side languages (e.g. Java, Perl, etc.)
- Experience with CI (continuous integration)
- Contributions to or active participation in the OSS community
Our annual compensation is about 6 - 12 million yen, depending on your experience and skills.