About LINE Corp.
At 83 million domestic users, or 65% of the population, LINE is Japan’s most popular messaging application. It is also popular throughout Asia, boasting approximately 186 million users globally.
Build Reliable Systems at Scale
You’ll have the opportunity to work on systems that are both highly scalable and reliable. For example, we use Apache Kafka to process over 360 billion messages a day, while keeping the cluster’s availability nearly 100% and less than 10 milliseconds response time.
About 40% of our engineers are non-Japanese. There are teams that don’t require any Japanese abilities, and for those wanting to improve their Japanese skills, we offer Japanese lessons.
Room to Grow
We’re a fast growing organization that’s full of young, enthusiastic engineers. We offer a leveling system with both individual contributor and management tracks, so regardless of how you wish to improve your skills, there’s room for you to grow within the company.
Healthy Work/Life Balance
We offer flextime so that you can set a schedule that is best for you. We encourage our employees to take vacations, and it’s not uncommon for some employees to take off several weeks in a row.
Our response to COVID-19
In response to COVID-19, we’ve introduced a number of initiatives to support our users in Japan and around the world. These include working with Japan’s Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare to offer remote consultations with medical professionals, and offering free one-on-one counseling for people who are suffering from anxiety and stress stemming from COVID-19.
During this crisis, we’re advising all our employees to work from home, moved to conducting recruitment interviews over video chat, and have shifted all contracts to electronic form to allow those who handle contracts to work from the safety of their homes.
After COVID-19 comes to an end, we plan to offer a work style that combines working from home and coming to work. More details are available in Japanese.
About the position
It is required for LINE to have a highly scalable and reliable infrastructure that controls applications deployed on thousands of machines because of its growing business.
Our team, Delivery Infrastructure Team, is responsible for the in-house deployment system that enables LINE engineers to deploy applications every day.
The mission of our team is ‘Take leadership among company-wide deployment systems to provide innovated and WOW! deployment ecosystem for all of LINE engineers’.
Our current deployment tool stack consists of some components as follows. You will need to enhance some of them or introduce new frontend techniques when necessary:
- Application deployment system that distributes, restarts, and rollbacks applications to thousands of servers
- An inventory management system that manages the servers, clusters, and authorization
- Deployment orchestration pipeline system that controls multiple project’s deployment flows
Your main responsibility will include the following things.
- Lead, design, and develop frontend for the in-house deployment system
- Keep the applied frontend technology updated following industry standard
- Cooperate with developers and UX designers inside and outside of the team to solve the problem
- Code review for colleagues in the team to maintain good code quality
- At least 3 years of experience developing of web application development
- Knowledge of accessibility/utility
- Experience in front-end development project that utilizes Node.js tools (e.g. npm, babel, eslint)
Nice to haves
These aren’t required, but be sure to mention them in your application if you have them.
- Experience in leading a frontend development project
- Experience with React or Vue and their frameworks like Next.js or Nuxt.js
- Experience with Single Page Application (SPA) or Server-side Rendering(SSR) web application
- Experience with TypeScript
- Experience in server-side development (e.g. Node.js, Java, etc)
- Experience with CI (continuous integration) and DevOps practice
- Contributions to or active participation in the OSS community