About LINE Corp.
At 83 million domestic users, or 65% of the population, LINE is Japan’s most popular messaging application. It is also popular throughout Asia, boasting approximately 186 million users globally.
Build Reliable Systems at Scale
You’ll have the opportunity to work on systems that are both highly scalable and reliable. For example, we use Apache Kafka to process over 360 billion messages a day, while keeping the cluster’s availability nearly 100% and less than 10 milliseconds response time.
About 40% of our engineers are non-Japanese. There are teams that don’t require any Japanese abilities, and for those wanting to improve their Japanese skills, we offer Japanese lessons.
Room to Grow
We’re a fast growing organization that’s full of young, enthusiastic engineers. We offer a leveling system with both individual contributor and management tracks, so regardless of how you wish to improve your skills, there’s room for you to grow within the company.
Healthy Work/Life Balance
We offer flextime so that you can set a schedule that is best for you. We encourage our employees to take vacations, and it’s not uncommon for some employees to take off several weeks in a row.
Our response to COVID-19
In response to COVID-19, we’ve introduced a number of initiatives to support our users in Japan and around the world. These include working with Japan’s Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare to offer remote consultations with medical professionals, and offering free one-on-one counseling for people who are suffering from anxiety and stress stemming from COVID-19.
During this crisis, we’re advising all our employees to work from home, moved to conducting recruitiment interviews over video chat, and have shifted all contracts to electronic form to allow those who handle contracts to work from the safety of their homes.
Due to the coronavirus pandemic we are currently facing difficulties applying for working visas and traveling into Japan is restricted. Under these circumstances we are currently unable to extend offers to candidates who are living outside of Japan or do not own a permit to work in Japan. However, we continue to track the situation and once it is safe to proceed with recruiting, we will again open positions to candidates who wish to work at LINE in Japan.
You can find more details about our initiatives in response to the spread of novel coronavirus here.
About the position
LINE provides a messaging service to hundreds of millions of the users in the world-wide, which means that we have large-scale systems with high availability requirement. Observability Infrastructure team at LINE is the team behind the monitoring infrastructure which helps LINE engineers to maintain the availability of those systems. You will be part of the team that builds metrics, log and trace data pipeline which serves hundreds of millions of data points and events per minute, as well as visualization system which helps other engineers to easily troubleshoot their application.
What you’ll do
- Design, build and deploy software systems that run 24/7 at scale.
- Write tools which improve reliability of current running system.
- Define on-call process and standards.
- Collaborate with other engineers throughout LINE to design new features of our observability stack.
- Participate in code reviews to ensure code quality, including open-source projects.
External resources about the team
- Familiarity with Linux performance analysis tools like tracers, profilers, debuggers, visualization tools.
- Experience operating and introducing open-source software to production at scale (ElasticSearch, Cassandra).
- Interest in metrics and devops practice.
- Experience building and supporting large-scale distributed systems that back a consumer app or website.
- Experience integrating performance tools into Continuous Integration/Deployment pipelines.