Mercari is a marketplace app that makes it easy for people to safely sell and ship their things. Having been downloaded over 100 million times, it is now among the largest peer-to-peer selling platforms globally.
Though we have over 1,800 employees, we still have a startup culture, where we encourage people to come up with big, crazy ideas, and to not be afraid of failure. Because the company is rapidly growing, you can set your own path, and there is enough transparency to allow our members to do so. For instance, at our all-hands meetings, every single member is encouraged to ask questions directly to our executive team.
We’re a Japanese company, but are building a global work culture, and so we provide a great opportunity to experience a blend of Japanese and international culture. We relocate developers from around the world to join our team, and provide translation and interpretation to smooth communication between members.
We want our employees to be able to give 100% both inside and outside of the office, and our benefits reflect this. These include providing language education, financial support for childcare, and allowing you to pursue paid side gigs outside of working with us.
Our response to COVID-19
Along with many other countries, Japan is expanding entry/visa restrictions in line with the WHO’s decision to declare the COVID-19 outbreak a pandemic on March 11th. We are trying our best to minimize the impact, but inevitably we may be unable to continue the hiring process with every candidate at this time. Given the uncertainty of the situation, please kindly understand that we will be prioritizing local applicants (possessing valid working visas, etc.) to ensure a smooth hiring experience. Of course we are maintaining open channels of communication regarding individual cases and will monitor the situation in order to adjust our policies as circumstances change.
For more on the measures that Mercari has taken regarding COVID-19, please see this message from the CEO.
About the position
We are aggressively growing our backend engineering team to develop leading-edge microservices and enable the next stage of growth for our US marketplace. We are placing a heavy emphasis on hiring and training new members while also creating an environment that allows engineers to work to the best of their ability. To make this possible, we need highly skilled engineering managers to work with us.
You will be an employee of Mercari Japan and working in our Tokyo office, primarily for the US version of Mercari.
- Minimum of 5 years of backend software development experience
- Experience both managing and mentoring engineers
- Experience with interdepartmental coordination
- Experience hiring engineers. For example, screening applications, interviewing, direct recruiting, and hosting events.
- Experience deploying systems to cloud platforms
- Experience designing the architecture for a system with millions of users per day
- Experience leading technical decisions for large engineering teams
- Experience designing and maintaining backend systems with a microservice-based architecture
- Experience programming in Go or PHP
- Experience with Docker and Kubernetes
- Business Level Japanese
Our Ideal Candidate
- Can understand project priorities and apply them to team assignments
- Possesses extensive technological expertise and a desire to learn new technologies
- Can understand individual engineers’ motivations and encourage their personal and career growth along with the growth of the business
- Possesses strong communication abilities for solving organizational problems
- Can take responsibility for engineer hiring and training, and can establish a long-term vision for the team’s growth
Please provide your resume in English.