Mercari is a marketplace app that makes it easy for people to safely sell and ship their things. Having been downloaded over 100 million times, it is now among the largest peer-to-peer selling platforms globally.
Though we have over 1,800 employees, we still have a startup culture, where we encourage people to come up with big, crazy ideas, and to not be afraid of failure. Because the company is rapidly growing, you can set your own path, and there is enough transparency to allow our members to do so. For instance, at our all-hands meetings, every single member is encouraged to ask questions directly to our executive team.
We’re a Japanese company, but are building a global work culture, and so we provide a great opportunity to experience a blend of Japanese and international culture. We relocate developers from around the world to join our team, and provide translation and interpretation to smooth communication between members.
We want our employees to be able to give 100% both inside and outside of the office, and our benefits reflect this. These include providing language education, financial support for childcare, and allowing you to pursue paid side gigs outside of working with us.
Our response to COVID-19
On July 1, 2020, in response to the spread of COVID-19, we introduced Mercari’s New Normal Work Style Trial Guidelines, that allows employees and teams to choose when and how often they work in the office, including the option to work entirely remotely.
About the position
- Engineering managers are committed to creating organizational structures and solving organizational issues, creating a place where engineers can play more active roles.
- Mercari’s engineering organization has members from a variety of backgrounds. By managing teams with diversified experiences, nationalities, cultures, etc., they are responsible for drawing out the potential of teams and individuals and producing greater results.
- The main components of the role are as follows:
- Recruiting, training, goal setting, evaluation, and providing feedback to engineers
- Maximizing the results of engineer members and supporting career their growth
- Assigning engineers to projects and supporting the communication needed to carry them out
- Problem solving for the engineering organization as well as proposing and executing growth strategies
- Planning and implementation of in-house events to deepen understanding of expertise and organization
- We are looking for people that are interested in our services, mission, and values, and want to work where engineers can go bold, use the latest technology, make autonomous decisions, and take on challenges at a rapid pace.
- Developing and operating large-scale products
- Software development
- Engineering management
- Project management
- Coordinating with multiple stakeholders
- Making technical decisions for a team as a tech lead
- Designing the architecture of an entire system
- Managing a multicultural team
- Hiring engineers (application screening, interviewing, direct recruiting, event hosting, etc.)
- Strong experience in at least one of the following:
- Backend: Design, development, and operation of APIs using Go or PHP
- Mobile: Development using Swift or Kotlin
- Machine Learning: ML modeling or development experience with ML systems
- Knowledge of and experience with databases (RDBMS/NoSQL), networks, linux, monitoring systems, logging, operations, and SLO/SLA
- Development and operation using microservices architecture
- Cloud development experience (preferably GCP or AWS)
- Understanding of UI development
- OSS contribution experience / familiar with OSS community