Mercari is a marketplace app that makes it easy for people to safely sell and ship their things. Having been downloaded over 100 million times, it is now among the largest peer-to-peer selling platforms globally.
Though we have over 1,800 employees, we still have a startup culture, where we encourage people to come up with big, crazy ideas, and to not be afraid of failure. Because the company is rapidly growing, you can set your own path, and there is enough transparency to allow our members to do so. For instance, at our all-hands meetings, every single member is encouraged to ask questions directly to our executive team.
We’re a Japanese company, but are building a global work culture, and so we provide a great opportunity to experience a blend of Japanese and international culture. We relocate developers from around the world to join our team, and provide translation and interpretation to smooth communication between members.
We want our employees to be able to give 100% both inside and outside of the office, and our benefits reflect this. These include providing language education, financial support for childcare, and allowing you to pursue paid side gigs outside of working with us.
Our response to COVID-19
In response to COVID-19, Mercari began its work-from-home policy on February 19, 2020. On September 1, 2021, Mercari introduced a work style policy called “Your Choice.” Each member is free to choose whether they want to work in the office or work fully remote.
About the position
Mercari’s mobile team is currently working on a major re-architecture of the Android/iOS apps in order to create a structure where they can conduct further large-scale development while maintaining speed and security. The team is also working on various other projects, such as developing new features and improving the UX.
- Improving Mercari’s UI/UX
- Improving quality with a focus on stability and performance
- Continuous improvement of the codebase, including the major re-architecture
- Handling updates for the Android app
- Developing new services and linking them with other services
- Experience developing native Android apps
- Extensive knowledge in object-oriented software development, solid MVVM/MVP architecture, multithreading, * networking and memory management.
- Experience with continuous improvement of codebases and large-scale team development
- Knowledge of standard Android libraries and frameworks
- Ability to develop features while conducting unit tests using JUnit and Mockito
- Software development experience with Kotlin at work