Mercari is a marketplace app that makes it easy for people to safely sell and ship their things. Having been downloaded over 100 million times, it is now among the largest peer-to-peer selling platforms globally.
Though we have over 1,800 employees, we still have a startup culture, where we encourage people to come up with big, crazy ideas, and to not be afraid of failure. Because the company is rapidly growing, you can set your own path, and there is enough transparency to allow our members to do so. For instance, at our all-hands meetings, every single member is encouraged to ask questions directly to our executive team.
We’re a Japanese company, but are building a global work culture, and so we provide a great opportunity to experience a blend of Japanese and international culture. We relocate developers from around the world to join our team, and provide translation and interpretation to smooth communication between members.
We want our employees to be able to give 100% both inside and outside of the office, and our benefits reflect this. These include providing language education, financial support for childcare, and allowing you to pursue paid side gigs outside of working with us.
Our response to COVID-19
In response to COVID-19, Mercari began its work-from-home policy on February 19, 2020. On September 1, 2021, Mercari introduced a work style policy called “Your Choice.” Each member is free to choose whether they want to work in the office or work fully remote.
About the position
Working at Merpay
Merpay is home to some of the greatest experts within Mercari Group. Our commitment to a culture of openness allows members to discuss architecture on Slack channels organized by business domain, send pull requests to each other on GitHub, and share knowledge on the internal Wiki. We hold “Go Friday” and other weekly study groups for engineers but open to all, encouraging engineers to help one another grow. Some members have no experience developing in Go before they join, but we help turn them into Go enthusiasts early on through involvement in our internal Go community and “Gopher Dojo,” our short-term, intensive training. Members further develop their expertise while demonstrating their abilities at both internal and external engineering community events.
- Handle web application and API development in Go
- API/interface design for microservices using Protocol Buffers and gRPC
- Improving services and measuring effectiveness using quantitative and qualitative analysis on user behavior logs, etc.
- Design architecture and select middleware based on application requirements
- Microservice performance tuning, monitoring, and alert handling
- Programming languages: Go
- Infrastructure: Google Cloud Platform (Compute Engine, Kubernetes Engine, Spanner, Cloud SQL, Storage, Stackdriver Logging, Dataflow, Pub/Sub, etc.)
- Configuration management tools: Terraform
- Analysis Platform: BigQuery / Looker / Data Studio
- Monitoring: Stackdriver Monitoring / Datadog / PagerDuty / Sentry
- CI/CD: Circle CI / Spinnaker
- Knowledge Tool: Crowi / Confluence
- Other: GitHub / Slack
- Development Method: Agile (Scrum, Kanban, etc.)
- Shared belief in Merpay’s mission and values
- Knowledge and experience in web application development
- Experience designing schemas and creating efficient queries for databases (such as RDB, NoSQL, etc.)
- Experience operating web applications and conducting performance tuning, knowledge in security
- Experience selecting middleware and designing software architecture
- Ability to take ownership and lead the software development process
- Experience developing and operating using Go and GCP
- Experience developing and operating large-scale, high traffic system
- Experience establishing new services and tackling the challenges in the growth phase of a service
- Experience as developer lead or management / experience improving the development process
- Experience in statistical data analysis