Mercari is a marketplace app that makes it easy for people to safely sell and ship their things. Having been downloaded over 100 million times, it is now among the largest peer-to-peer selling platforms globally.
Though we have over 1,800 employees, we still have a startup culture, where we encourage people to come up with big, crazy ideas, and to not be afraid of failure. Because the company is rapidly growing, you can set your own path, and there is enough transparency to allow our members to do so. For instance, at our all-hands meetings, every single member is encouraged to ask questions directly to our executive team.
We’re a Japanese company, but are building a global work culture, and so we provide a great opportunity to experience a blend of Japanese and international culture. We relocate developers from around the world to join our team, and provide translation and interpretation to smooth communication between members.
We want our employees to be able to give 100% both inside and outside of the office, and our benefits reflect this. These include providing language education, financial support for childcare, and allowing you to pursue paid side gigs outside of working with us.
Our response to COVID-19
Along with many other countries, Japan is expanding entry/visa restrictions in line with the WHO’s decision to declare the COVID-19 outbreak a pandemic on March 11th. We are trying our best to minimize the impact, but inevitably we may be unable to continue the hiring process with every candidate at this time. Given the uncertainty of the situation, please kindly understand that we will be prioritizing local applicants (possessing valid working visas, etc.) to ensure a smooth hiring experience. Of course we are maintaining open channels of communication regarding individual cases and will monitor the situation in order to adjust our policies as circumstances change.
For more on the measures that Mercari has taken regarding COVID-19, please see this message from the CEO.
About the position
You will be an employee of Mercari Japan and working in our Tokyo office, primarily for the US version of Mercari.
- Coding in Go and PHP for the Payments & Shipping team
- Design, develop, test, deploy, maintain, and improve backend software
- Work with Product Managers and Designers
- Collaborate with iOS and Android engineers to develop new features
- Collaborate with QA Engineers to deliver high-quality features quickly
- Work with third-party vendors to integrate new functionality
- Solve complex architectural challenges
- Write and maintain technical documentation
- Manage project requirements, deadlines, and quality
- 4+ years of industry programming experience
- Professional engineering experience with consumer applications
- Exceptional communication skills
- Excellent knowledge of distributed systems
- Experience with developing complex software systems scaling to millions of users with production quality deployment, monitoring, and reliability
- Demonstrated ability to write code with appropriate tests
- Ability to collaborate with team members including Product Managers, Data Scientists, Designer, Engineers, and QA Engineers to solve complex business problems
- A positive attitude and an insatiable desire to learn
- Experience with PHP or Go
- Experience designing, developing, and managing microservices
- Experience with Docker and Kubernetes or similar systems
- Experience working on GCP or AWS or similar systems
- Experience leading or managing teams
- Experience working in large, cross-functional teams
- Experience mentoring engineers
- Experience hiring engineers
- Please provide your resume in English
- This position is for applicants with professional working experience.