Mercari is a marketplace app that makes it easy for people to safely sell and ship their things. Having been downloaded over 100 million times, it is now among the largest peer-to-peer selling platforms globally.
Though we have over 1,800 employees, we still have a startup culture, where we encourage people to come up with big, crazy ideas, and to not be afraid of failure. Because the company is rapidly growing, you can set your own path, and there is enough transparency to allow our members to do so. For instance, at our all-hands meetings, every single member is encouraged to ask questions directly to our executive team.
We’re a Japanese company, but are building a global work culture, and so we provide a great opportunity to experience a blend of Japanese and international culture. We relocate developers from around the world to join our team, and provide translation and interpretation to smooth communication between members.
We want our employees to be able to give 100% both inside and outside of the office, and our benefits reflect this. These include providing language education, financial support for childcare, and allowing you to pursue paid side gigs outside of working with us.
Our response to COVID-19
In response to COVID-19, Mercari began its work-from-home policy on February 19, 2020. On September 1, 2021, Mercari introduced a work style policy called “Your Choice.” Each member is free to choose whether they want to work in the office or work fully remote.
About the position
You will be an employee of Mercari Japan and working in our Tokyo office, primarily for the US version of Mercari.
Mercari’s US business started operations in 2014. With a mission to make selling easier than buying, Mercari US aims to provide a service where people can easily sell almost anything online. The US business still hides tons of untapped growth potential, through shipping innovations such as the expansion of same-day delivery, automation that mitigates users’ price-setting confusion by suggesting prices, and other features. In order to facilitate the US business’s development while generating synergy with Mercari’s Japan business, our US operations are developing their product not only in the US offices, but in Japan (Tokyo) as well.
- Design, develop, test, deploy, maintain, and improve backend software
- Write code in Go and PHP
- Work with Product Managers and Designers
- Collaborate with iOS and Android Engineers to develop new features
- Collaborate with QA Engineers to deliver high-quality features quickly
- Work with third-party vendors to integrate new functionality
- Solve complex architectural challenges
- Write and maintain technical documentation
- Develop product features in a fast-paced Silicon Valley startup environment
- Design highly scalable systems that can support the continued growth of Mercari US
- Proactively share ideas and contribute to our engineering culture
- Gain a deep understanding of the US market to ensure Mercari’s continued success
- Work effectively in a multicultural environment with colleagues from various backgrounds
- 3+ years of industry programming experience
- Professional engineering experience with consumer applications
- Exceptional communication skills
- Experience developing complex software systems scaling to millions of users with production-quality deployment, monitoring, and reliability
- A positive attitude and an insatiable desire to learn
- Experience with PHP or Go
- Experience designing, developing, and managing microservices
- Experience with Docker and Kubernetes or similar systems
- Experience working on GCP or AWS or similar systems
- Excellent knowledge of distributed systems
- Demonstrated ability to write code with appropriate tests
- Experience leading or managing teams
- Experience working in large, cross-functional teams
- Experience mentoring engineers
- Experience working in an Agile environment