Mercari is a marketplace app that makes it easy for people to safely sell and ship their things. Having been downloaded over 100 million times, it is now among the largest peer-to-peer selling platforms globally.
Though we have over 1,800 employees, we still have a startup culture, where we encourage people to come up with big, crazy ideas, and to not be afraid of failure. Because the company is rapidly growing, you can set your own path, and there is enough transparency to allow our members to do so. For instance, at our all-hands meetings, every single member is encouraged to ask questions directly to our executive team.
We’re a Japanese company, but are building a global work culture, and so we provide a great opportunity to experience a blend of Japanese and international culture. We relocate developers from around the world to join our team, and provide translation and interpretation to smooth communication between members.
We want our employees to be able to give 100% both inside and outside of the office, and our benefits reflect this. These include providing language education, financial support for childcare, and allowing you to pursue paid side gigs outside of working with us.
Our response to COVID-19
In response to COVID-19, Mercari began its work-from-home policy on February 19, 2020. On September 1, 2021, Mercari introduced a work style policy called “Your Choice.” Each member is free to choose whether they want to work in the office or work fully remote.
About the position
Platform engineers for machine learning/search systems develop the functions and services of the marketplace app Mercari through the development and maintenance of infrastructure and platforms. Mercari is actively applying machine learning/search technology to provide a more convenient, safer, and more enjoyable marketplace. Machine learning/search platform engineers use the cloud and Kubernetes to operate and improve machine learning/search systems.
- Develop libraries and frameworks to improve the availability of machine learning/search systems
- Improve the existing machine learning/search infrastructure and leverage industry-leading best practices to help the AI/search team operate
- Disseminate the best practices of machine learning/search engine operation, improve the development process, and improve the skills of engineers
- Develop and improve monitoring and logging systems for the evaluation of machine learning models/search experiments
- Collaborate with other teams to develop large-scale infrastructure
- Operating a web system
- Over 5 years of software development experience and over 3 years of Java, Python or Golang development experience
- End-to-end backend system development experience
- Basic knowledge and skills related to security, basic knowledge and troubleshooting skills related to RDBMS, SQL, network, Linux, monitoring system, logging, and operation
- Communication skills to carry out projects in collaboration with multiple teams and stakeholders
Nice to haves
These aren’t required, but be sure to mention them in your application if you have them.
- Developing and operating large-scale distributed systems (Kubernetes, Hadoop, etc.)
- Functional development and bug fixing skills necessary to improve system performance and reliability
- Using container technology such as Docker and Kubernetes
- Using the cloud (AWS, GCP, Microsoft Azure, etc.)
- Microservice development and operation experience with Docker and Kubernetes
- Using one or both of the following:
- Machine learning: TensorFlow Serving, TensorFlow Lite, ONNX
- Search: Elasticsearch, Solr or other OSS search engines
- Japanese ability