Mercari is a marketplace app that makes it easy for people to safely sell and ship their things. Having been downloaded over 100 million times, it is now among the largest peer-to-peer selling platforms globally.
Though we have over 1,800 employees, we still have a startup culture, where we encourage people to come up with big, crazy ideas, and to not be afraid of failure. Because the company is rapidly growing, you can set your own path, and there is enough transparency to allow our members to do so. For instance, at our all-hands meetings, every single member is encouraged to ask questions directly to our executive team.
We’re a Japanese company, but are building a global work culture, and so we provide a great opportunity to experience a blend of Japanese and international culture. We relocate developers from around the world to join our team, and provide translation and interpretation to smooth communication between members.
We want our employees to be able to give 100% both inside and outside of the office, and our benefits reflect this. These include providing language education, financial support for childcare, and allowing you to pursue paid side gigs outside of working with us.
Our response to COVID-19
On July 1, 2020, in response to the spread of COVID-19, we introduced Mercari’s New Normal Work Style Trial Guidelines, that allows employees and teams to choose when and how often they work in the office, including the option to work entirely remotely.
About the position
As a QA/Test Engineer, you will be part of the process of developing new features and improving current features of the Mercari app from the customers’ point of view. Working in a fast-paced, quality-focused environment, you will be involved in quality-assurance related activities throughout the entire development process, from planning to final release, while understanding the overall development process.
- Reviewing and providing feedback for plans/specs created by product managers
- Designing/implementing tests for automation testing
- Developing/improving processes for quality-assurance related activities
- Carrying out quality analysis using quantitative/qualitative data to suggest improvements to developments teams
- Collaborating with third-party contractors to build a system for quality assurance
- In this position, you will be responsible for quality assurance for Mercari, a marketplace app with 18 million monthly active users.
- You will be responsible not only for testing for quality assurance, but also various kinds of tasks such as understanding customer issues, developing processes, analyzing data, and creating quality guidelines in order to assure quality in the overall development process.
- Apart from that, this position will allow you to think about quality from the customer’s point of view and how to assure quality from scratch.
- 3 years+ experience testing smartphone apps and web systems (designing/implementing tests, test management, optimizing tests)
- 3+ years experience creating/coding automated testing (ex: Espresso, XCUITest, PlayWright)
- Ability to communicate with PMs/engineers in development teams and members in QA teams to solve issues
- Experience in solving problems and improving processes in your team
- QA experience in working within an Agile Scrum based development process
- Experience in development web / smartphone apps
- Selection of test tools or developing them yourself
- Experience in performance testing, security testing, and internationalization testing
- Software development experience in a CI/CD environment
- Experience in quality analysis
Our Ideal Candidate
- Motivation to provide a high-quality service for our users
- Capable of taking on bold challenges and learning from mistakes
- Capable of working independently and taking the initiative to lead the team to success
- Possesses a strong sense of responsibility and works hard to achieve their goals
- Capable of communicating proactively and producing output in a highly global team