Mercari is a marketplace app that makes it easy for people to safely sell and ship their things. Having been downloaded over 100 million times, it is now among the largest peer-to-peer selling platforms globally.
Though we have over 1,800 employees, we still have a startup culture, where we encourage people to come up with big, crazy ideas, and to not be afraid of failure. Because the company is rapidly growing, you can set your own path, and there is enough transparency to allow our members to do so. For instance, at our all-hands meetings, every single member is encouraged to ask questions directly to our executive team.
We’re a Japanese company, but are building a global work culture, and so we provide a great opportunity to experience a blend of Japanese and international culture. We relocate developers from around the world to join our team, and provide translation and interpretation to smooth communication between members.
We want our employees to be able to give 100% both inside and outside of the office, and our benefits reflect this. These include providing language education, financial support for childcare, and allowing you to pursue paid side gigs outside of working with us.
Our response to COVID-19
In response to COVID-19, Mercari began its work-from-home policy on February 19, 2020. On September 1, 2021, Mercari introduced a work style policy called “Your Choice.” Each member is free to choose whether they want to work in the office or work fully remote.
About the position
We are the team that provides the web infrastructure and common functionality for the Mercari Group’s web applications. Our responsibility includes:
- Develop and maintain authentication pages and APIs on web
- Develop and maintain infrastructures and services to provide HTML and other web related contents
- Develop and maintain infrastructures and tools to improve reliability, productivity and security for web applications
- Cooperate with frontend teams to develop and maintain the web application.
Our team is trying to improve both the quality and productivity of Mercari’s web applications. We use our knowledge of all aspects of the web, including front-end, back-end, infrastructure, and security, to provide infrastructure and services. For example, we did these actions:
- Design authentication flow based on OpenID Connect specification, implement authentication screens and APIs by React, TypeScript and Go
- Provide network routing with canary release feature for web applications on Kubernetes infrastructure
- Provide Google Authentication and Pull Request environment for web development on Kubernetes infrastructure
- Provide End-to-End testing infrastructures and visual regression testing infrastructures, and run them on each pull request
- Shared belief in Mercari’s mission and values
- Experience developing and/or operating web applications
- Experience in at least one of the following:
- Experience building and operating Kubernetes infrastructures
- Experience building and operating network infrastructures such as CDN, WAF, Load Balancer (like nginx)
- Willingness to learn web technologies (PWA, dynamic rendering , Web Components, WebAuthn, etc) and microservice infrastructures (Kuberentes, GCP, Terraform, etc) regardless of frontend, backend, infrastructure
Nice to haves
These aren’t required, but be sure to mention them in your application if you have them.
- Experience of Go programming
- Knowledge of and experience with web authentication methods such as OAuth 2.0, OpenID Connect, Single Sign On, WebAuthn, etc.
- Knowledge about web application security
- Experience developing and operating systems using microservice architecture
- Experience building and operating a monitoring environment and SLO, as well as detecting and handling system failures for web applications
- Experience with software development on GCP