With over 30 million registered users (as of June 2020), about a quarter of Japan’s population, PayPay is the country’s most popular mobile wallet.
Our international origins make us diverse at the core
PayPay started as a collaboration between Paytm, SoftBank, and Yahoo Japan, bringing together teams in Canada, India, and Japan. As we’ve grown, we’ve continued to embrace this diversity, and about 50% of our engineers are non-Japanese.
Japanese NOT required
Despite having a product aimed at the Japanese market, we’ve built our company so that English-speaking engineers can contribute at all levels, and a lack of Japanese ability will not hold you back. About 80% of our product team speaks English, and we have interpreters who can provide simultaneous translation when necessary.
If you’re an international engineer, we’ll also assign you a dedicated HR person who can help you with any Japanese translation or bureaucracy that comes up in your day to day.
Free Japanese lessons on company time
Of course, living in Japan, having Japanese skills will help to make your personal life more fulfilling, and so we do offer free Japanese lessons that can be scheduled during normal working hours.
Work remotely and on your own schedule
In response to COVID-19, we moved to working remotely. This proved so successful that we’ve announced our “Work From Anywhere at Anytime” policy. Even after COVID-19 settles down, we’ll continue to allow employees to work from anywhere in Japan, and set their own hours.
Incredible scale using the latest technologies
PayPay launched on October 5th, 2018, making us still quite a young service. Despite this, we have built a system that handles over 1000 transactions per second. This combination of both scale and modern technologies makes working with us a rather unique opportunity.
Make your own decisions
Despite our scale, our engineers still have a great deal of autonomy, both from the perspective of the choice of technologies you apply, and also your role within the company. If you see something that can be improved, you’re encouraged to take it on. There’s no need to be constrained by an overly restrictive job description, and you can easily change roles within the company.
Our response to COVID
We’ve transitioned to remote work to ensure employees safety during COVID, and we’ll continue this even after it subsides. While we’re open to considering engineers looking to relocate to Japan, travel restrictions have made it difficult to give a clear timeframe for relocation. Should we extend you an offer, we’ll apply for a certificate of eligibility for you, that will make obtaining a visa trivial once the borders open, and we’re open to making special accommodations, such as starting you on a remote contract.
About the position
PayPay is looking for a Software Engineer to work on our payment system to deliver the best payment experience for our Japanese customers.
Our ideal candidate is a problem solver and a learner at heart. You should have a very high degree of comfort in a programming language of your choice. We offer a flexible work schedule and you get your choice of tools (both hardware and software) and most importantly, the opportunity to work on tough problems with the brightest minds around you.
- Design large scale systems with high complexity to support our high throughput applications.
- Understand how to leverage infrastructure for solving such large scale problems.
- Develop tools and contribute to open source wherever possible.
- Adopt problem solving as a way of life – always go to root cause! Support the code you write in production.
- Experience in using Java under professional environment, or if you are non-Java user, excellent skills in generalized programming languages, such as Scala, Python and Go.
- Interest and ability to learn other coding languages as needed.
- Experience with NoSQL databases and distributed cache.
- Strong fundamentals in data structures, algorithms and object oriented programming.
- In-depth understanding of concurrency and distributed computing.
- Degree in Computer Engineering or Computer Science or 5+ years equivalent experience in SaaS platform development.
- Experience with implementing platform components such as RESTful APIs, Pub/Sub Systems, Database Clients.
- Experience with AWS services.
- Experience in working for system development in finance, payment, or similar industries
- Experience in system design, development of web system which handles massive amount of transactions or requires scalability
- Language ability in Japanese and English is a plus (We have a professional translator but it is nice to have language skills)
- Experience in microservices