With over 30 million registered users (as of June 2020), about a quarter of Japan’s population, PayPay is the country’s most popular mobile wallet.
Our international origins make us diverse at the core
PayPay started as a collaboration between Paytm, SoftBank, and Yahoo Japan, bringing together teams in Canada, India, and Japan. As we’ve grown, we’ve continued to embrace this diversity, and about 50% of our engineers are non-Japanese.
Japanese NOT required
Despite having a product aimed at the Japanese market, we’ve built our company so that English-speaking engineers can contribute at all levels, and a lack of Japanese ability will not hold you back. About 80% of our product team speaks English, and we have interpreters who can provide simultaneous translation when necessary.
If you’re an international engineer, we’ll also assign you a dedicated HR person who can help you with any Japanese translation or bureaucracy that comes up in your day to day.
Free Japanese lessons on company time
Of course, living in Japan, having Japanese skills will help to make your personal life more fulfilling, and so we do offer free Japanese lessons that can be scheduled during normal working hours.
Work remotely and on your own schedule
In response to COVID-19, we moved to working remotely. This proved so successful that we’ve announced our “Work From Anywhere at Anytime” policy. Even after COVID-19 settles down, we’ll continue to allow employees to work from anywhere in Japan, and set their own hours.
Incredible scale using the latest technologies
PayPay launched on October 5th, 2018, making us still quite a young service. Despite this, we have built a system that handles over 1000 transactions per second. This combination of both scale and modern technologies makes working with us a rather unique opportunity.
Make your own decisions
Despite our scale, our engineers still have a great deal of autonomy, both from the perspective of the choice of technologies you apply, and also your role within the company. If you see something that can be improved, you’re encouraged to take it on. There’s no need to be constrained by an overly restrictive job description, and you can easily change roles within the company.
Our response to COVID
We’ve transitioned to remote work to ensure employees safety during COVID, and we’ll continue this even after it subsides. While we’re open to considering engineers looking to relocate to Japan, travel restrictions have made it difficult to give a clear timeframe for relocation. Should we extend you an offer, we’ll apply for a certificate of eligibility for you, that will make obtaining a visa trivial once the borders open, and we’re open to making special accommodations, such as starting you on a remote contract.
- Application Review (1-2 weeks). We review your profile based on your submitted materials.
- Code challenge (online). We send you a code challenge after reviewing your resume. Please be prepared to take code challenge after submitting your application! It takes at most 3-4 hours to complete.
- 1 - 3 Interviews (online). You will have 1 to 3 interviews with our engineers and HR.
About the position
Do you share a deep desire to have your smartphone be the gateway to interact with the world? If you love translating a fantastic consumer experience into an amazing mobile experience, then we’re looking for you! PayPay is looking for iOS Engineers to work on our payment product to deliver the best payment experience for our Japanese customers.
- Work closely with our product team to customize the payment experience
- Prototype new and redesign features
- Focus on UI/UX design principles and product driven development
- Work with an elite and focused team of app developers
- Deep understanding of modern mobile/iOS development
- Strong in Object Oriented design, and Swift
- Experience with the iOS development
- Strong passion for code quality and are not allergic to test cases
- Familiarity with integration of Rest API
- Strong sense of ownership
- At least one mobile app you can show off in the interview
- At least 3-5 years of professional experience.
- Ability to develop features while conducting unit tests
- Knowledge of performance optimization
- Ability to communicate with product members and other development team in English
- Familiarity with Agile development
- Experience integrating and development payment service