With over 40 million registered users (as of June 2021), about a third of Japan’s population, PayPay is the country’s most popular mobile wallet.
Our international origins make us diverse at the core
PayPay started as a collaboration between Paytm, SoftBank, and Yahoo Japan, bringing together teams in Canada, India, and Japan. As we’ve grown, we’ve continued to embrace this diversity, and about 50% of our engineers are non-Japanese.
Japanese NOT required
Despite having a product aimed at the Japanese market, we’ve built our company so that English-speaking engineers can contribute at all levels, and a lack of Japanese ability will not hold you back. About 80% of our product team speaks English, and we have interpreters who can provide simultaneous translation when necessary.
If you’re an international engineer, we’ll also assign you a dedicated HR person who can help you with any Japanese translation or bureaucracy that comes up in your day to day.
Free Japanese lessons on company time
Of course, living in Japan, having Japanese skills will help to make your personal life more fulfilling, and so we do offer free Japanese lessons that can be scheduled during normal working hours.
Work remotely and on your own schedule
In response to COVID-19, we moved to working remotely. This proved so successful that we’ve announced our “Work From Anywhere at Anytime” policy. Even after COVID-19 settles down, we’ll continue to allow employees to work from anywhere in Japan, and set their own hours.
Incredible scale using the latest technologies
PayPay launched on October 5th, 2018, making us still quite a young service. Despite this, we have built a system that handles over 1000 transactions per second. This combination of both scale and modern technologies makes working with us a rather unique opportunity.
Make your own decisions
Despite our scale, our engineers still have a great deal of autonomy, both from the perspective of the choice of technologies you apply, and also your role within the company. If you see something that can be improved, you’re encouraged to take it on. There’s no need to be constrained by an overly restrictive job description, and you can easily change roles within the company.
Our response to COVID
We’ve transitioned to remote work to ensure employees safety during COVID, and we’ll continue this even after it subsides. While we’re open to considering engineers looking to relocate to Japan, travel restrictions have made it difficult to give a clear timeframe for relocation. Should we extend you an offer, we’ll apply for a certificate of eligibility for you, that will make obtaining a visa trivial once the borders open, and we’re open to making special accommodations, such as starting you on a remote contract.
About the position
PayPay is looking for a DevSecOps Engineer to work with our development teams on maintaining the security of our payment system to deliver the best payment experience for our customers.
PayPay DevSecOps focuses on the automation of security configuration, testing, verification and monitoring. A strong candidate will have a good understanding of security best practices as well as an understanding of how to apply those principles to systems at scale following the DevOps methodology.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Security architecture reviews and threat modeling of existing and upcoming projects.
- Training of PayPay development staff on security best practices and its practical application.
- Implementing and maintaining automated security solutions such as configuration management, vulnerability testing, logging, monitoring and incident responses.
- Supporting automation with manual testing and review where required.
- Working in a fast paced environment where projects and prioritization may change frequently but maintaining a secure product is a requirement for all team members.
- Minimum of four years of security focused experience
- Experience leading projects tasked with improving product security and or DevOps security
- Minimum of three years experience with:
- Java and Python
- ELK, Kafka, Redis
- Docker, Kubernetes and OCIs
- Basic working knowledge of AWS EC2 and IAM
- Experience with security Android and iOS Applications
- ArgoCD, CircleCI Github Actions, Jenkins, Snyk, SonarQube
- MySQL/AuroraDB, DynamoDB, Neo4J
- KMS, Secrets Manager, WAF, Networking (VPC & Subnets)