With over 40 million registered users (as of June 2021), about a third of Japan’s population, PayPay is the country’s most popular mobile wallet.
Our international origins make us diverse at the core
PayPay started as a collaboration between Paytm, SoftBank, and Yahoo Japan, bringing together teams in Canada, India, and Japan. As we’ve grown, we’ve continued to embrace this diversity, and about 50% of our engineers are non-Japanese.
Japanese NOT required
Despite having a product aimed at the Japanese market, we’ve built our company so that English-speaking engineers can contribute at all levels, and a lack of Japanese ability will not hold you back. About 80% of our product team speaks English, and we have interpreters who can provide simultaneous translation when necessary.
If you’re an international engineer, we’ll also assign you a dedicated HR person who can help you with any Japanese translation or bureaucracy that comes up in your day to day.
Free Japanese lessons on company time
Of course, living in Japan, having Japanese skills will help to make your personal life more fulfilling, and so we do offer free Japanese lessons that can be scheduled during normal working hours.
Work remotely and on your own schedule
In response to COVID-19, we moved to working remotely. This proved so successful that we’ve announced our “Work From Anywhere at Anytime” policy. Even after COVID-19 settles down, we’ll continue to allow employees to work from anywhere in Japan, and set their own hours.
Incredible scale using the latest technologies
PayPay launched on October 5th, 2018, making us still quite a young service. Despite this, we have built a system that handles over 1000 transactions per second. This combination of both scale and modern technologies makes working with us a rather unique opportunity.
Make your own decisions
Despite our scale, our engineers still have a great deal of autonomy, both from the perspective of the choice of technologies you apply, and also your role within the company. If you see something that can be improved, you’re encouraged to take it on. There’s no need to be constrained by an overly restrictive job description, and you can easily change roles within the company.
Our response to COVID
We’ve transitioned to remote work to ensure employees safety during COVID, and we’ll continue this even after it subsides. While we’re open to considering engineers looking to relocate to Japan, travel restrictions have made it difficult to give a clear timeframe for relocation. Should we extend you an offer, we’ll apply for a certificate of eligibility for you, that will make obtaining a visa trivial once the borders open, and we’re open to making special accommodations, such as starting you on a remote contract.
About the position
- Utilizing the Testing Methodology, analyzes testing requirements as the basis for developing testing scenarios for a test level to be executed on a project.
- Designs testing scenarios and test cases that will demonstrate conformance to all functional and non-functional requirements, relative to the test level, as defined in business or technical specifications.
- Executes tasks related to the production of the test cases, test scripts, and test data.
- Analyzes the results of the testing process and recommends solutions.
- Supports knowledge management and collaboration through participation in testing discussions, communities and improving testing collateral through lessons learned.
- Performs work assigned by others.
- Accountable for own work.
- Minimum 2 or more years of experience in running and maintaining automated test cases for mobile apps, web apps, or APIs.
- Professional experience in using one of following frameworks/tools - Appium for mobile apps , Selenium for web-based apps, or unirest/Rest Assured for API’s.
- Well versed in using Cucumber for all test cases.
- Well versed in using Continuous Integration and Continuous Development tools, like Jenkins/Bitrise or any other.
- Experience in running performance tests using Gatling/Wrk/Jmeter.
- Experience in Docker and Kubernetes.
- Coding experience in building web or mobile based apps.
- Experience in bash or other CLI scripting
- Curiosity and passion about learning new technologies is a definite plus!