With over 40 million registered users (as of June 2021), about a third of Japan’s population, PayPay is the country’s most popular mobile wallet.
Our international origins make us diverse at the core
PayPay started as a collaboration between Paytm, SoftBank, and Yahoo Japan, bringing together teams in Canada, India, and Japan. As we’ve grown, we’ve continued to embrace this diversity, and about 50% of our engineers are non-Japanese.
Japanese NOT required
Despite having a product aimed at the Japanese market, we’ve built our company so that English-speaking engineers can contribute at all levels, and a lack of Japanese ability will not hold you back. About 80% of our product team speaks English, and we have interpreters who can provide simultaneous translation when necessary.
If you’re an international engineer, we’ll also assign you a dedicated HR person who can help you with any Japanese translation or bureaucracy that comes up in your day to day.
Free Japanese lessons on company time
Of course, living in Japan, having Japanese skills will help to make your personal life more fulfilling, and so we do offer free Japanese lessons that can be scheduled during normal working hours.
Work remotely and on your own schedule
In response to COVID-19, we moved to working remotely. This proved so successful that we’ve announced our “Work From Anywhere at Anytime” policy. Even after COVID-19 settles down, we’ll continue to allow employees to work from anywhere in Japan, and set their own hours.
Incredible scale using the latest technologies
PayPay launched on October 5th, 2018, making us still quite a young service. Despite this, we have built a system that handles over 1000 transactions per second. This combination of both scale and modern technologies makes working with us a rather unique opportunity.
Make your own decisions
Despite our scale, our engineers still have a great deal of autonomy, both from the perspective of the choice of technologies you apply, and also your role within the company. If you see something that can be improved, you’re encouraged to take it on. There’s no need to be constrained by an overly restrictive job description, and you can easily change roles within the company.
Our response to COVID
We’ve transitioned to remote work to ensure employees safety during COVID, and we’ll continue this even after it subsides. While we’re open to considering engineers looking to relocate to Japan, travel restrictions have made it difficult to give a clear timeframe for relocation. Should we extend you an offer, we’ll apply for a certificate of eligibility for you, that will make obtaining a visa trivial once the borders open, and we’re open to making special accommodations, such as starting you on a remote contract.
About the position
At PayPay, we’re constantly working on improving our systems and processes to be prepared for PayPay’s exponential growth. As an SRE at PayPay, we strive towards empowering our developers with the right tools and ensuring high availability, top-notch performance so that our users can have a great experience with our services.
Considering PayPay’s growth, we are looking for experienced SRE who can deliver insights into system bottlenecks, ensure reliability of the system and ensure that CI/CD processes are efficient and scalable for the increasing number of services that our company is offering.
Specifically, we are looking for someone who can bring informed and unique viewpoints, enjoys collaborating with a cross-functional team and is actively pushing boundaries to develop scalable solutions and positive user experiences.
- Building software and solutions for teams to optimize SDLC
- Deploy and maintain CI/CD pipelines across multiple environments
- Iterate on best practices to increase the quality and velocity of deployments
- Analyze current technologies used in the company and develop steps to improve observability and visibility into potential bottlenecks
- Ensuring system stability by pre-emptively verifying failure scenarios and implement solutions to reduce MTTR
- Implement industry best practices for system hardening and configuration management
- Develop solutions to improve system performance with a focus on high availability, scalability and resilience
- Establish SLAs for service uptime, and integrate with telemetry and alerting platforms to enforce them
- To ensure seamless flow of information between teams, document the knowledge gained.
- Be up to date on modern technologies and trends to advocate for their inclusion within products if they are an added value
- Good understanding of DevOps concepts and implementation
- CI/CD implementation expertise
- Experienced in docker image management and optimizations
- Knowledge about storage options like SQL, NoSQL and distributed storage like TiDB
- Experience operating Kubernetes and managing manifests
- Ability to program with one or more high level languages like Python, Java, etc
- Proactive in finding problems, areas of improvements and performance bottlenecks for distributed systems
- In-depth knowledge and hands-on experience with AWS and production workloads
- Strong coding skills with one or more high level languages
- Excellent communication skills and collaborative attitude
- Keen on trying new technologies and taking up challenges
- Knowledge about Microservices
- Knowledge about observability and how to gather data
- System design experience and capacity planning for large distributed systems
- Understanding of Automation tools and implementation
- Terraform/cloud formation experience
- Experience with managing monitoring tools like Cloudwatch, NewRelic etc.