Reallyenglish has been providing English language teaching online since 1999. We’ve built up a strong business through focusing on B2B partnerships, and are now looking to bring our platform to the non-English digital learning market. Our development team is already international, having American, British, Mongolian, Taiwanese, and Japanese members. Our team communicates internally in English, so no Japanese ability is required. We’re also open to hiring developers who aren’t based in Japan yet, but are looking to relocate here.
About the position
Our development is done using the agile development process Scrum, and we also use other agile techniques like pair programming. We’re active members in the open source community, making contributions ourselves, and sponsoring developer events (such as Tokyo Rubyist Meetup).
We use Ruby on Rails for our backend and PostgreSQL as our database. For hosting, we use Google Cloud Platform (GCP) with Kubernetes.
Experience developing using Ruby on Rails (be it professionally or through things like open source contributions).
- Cloud hosting related technologies (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes, GCP, AWS).
- Server management tools like Ansible.
- Engineering for heavy load.
- UI design grounded in UX principles.
- Open source experience.
- Experience in forking or creating CSS frameworks and using CSS pre processors such as SCSS, LESS, Bootstrap and Foundation.