Scene is a web based 3D documentation tool for manufacturing firms. Engineers in modern manufacturing firms design their products using 3D CAD softwares. There are several documents such as assembly manuals, sales proposals and maintenance manuals where 3D CAD designs need to be used for communication. Current workflow mostly involves taking hundreds of screenshots and using them in slides and docs. Scene helps users leverage existing 3D CAD models and easily create documents in 3D. Check out the demo video below.
From an engineering point of view, Scene is a WYSIWYG editor with 3D scene and 2D canvas elements. The technical challenge involves delivering intuitive usability to perform complex operations, while at the same time handling heavy 3D data with stable performance. This is a great opportunity for engineers interested in developing complex GUIs that are unlikely to be experienced in ordinary web development.
Our response to COVID-19
Due to COVID-19 related uncertainties, we prefer to work with someone who is already here in Japan.
We usually work from our office in Shibuya. During the COVID-19 state of emergency, we offered the option to work remotely, but have switched back to exclusively working in person. Prototyping a product like Scene, as well as a building a company culture requires frequent feedback and communication, which is hard to achieve remotely.
About the position
We are looking for a passionate engineer who is interested in owning the end to end experience, system design and implementation of Unscene’s 3D presentation. The engineer should ideally have experience working full stack. We value strong technical background and previous development experience in delivering breakthrough products and services. The ideal engineer is a highly motivated leader who leverages existing knowledge and experience to quickly pick up new skills and knowledge.
The engineer must be comfortable with communication with different stakeholders and be able to simplify and communicate complex concepts. The engineer is expected to lead and manage engineering projects, coordinate between product and engineering teams to co-create a high quality 3D presentation system that launches on-time and on-budget.
- You will work with the product team to clarify the requirements and be able to turn the product needs into the technical design, and provide technical feedback to the product team.
- You will lead the technical design to identify the right solution and break down the tasks.
- You will work with multiple engineers and communicate the tasks well with the team.
- You will work on the delivery of high-quality code components that will power the client and frontend experiences for our products.
- You will develop and own new 3D features from design through to implementation and launch.
- Collaborate closely with other senior engineers as well as product managers and designers.
- Focus on code quality and engage in code and design reviews.
- Develop new skills and learn new languages with the full support of your peers.
- BS in engineering or computer science or equivalent years of experience
- 2+ years of backend development experience
- English reading and writing skills
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Strong computer science fundamentals
- Dedication to code quality, performance and continuous improvement
- Strong debugging and optimization skills
- Experience with 3D/webGL libraries such as three.js, babylon.js
- Familiarity with web application and infrastructure of AWS or Google Cloud Platform
- Experience with the development lifecycle and scrum or kanban task management process
- Ability to quickly learn the job (with mentoring from others) and can mentor junior engineers
- Ability to clearly and concisely communicate and interact with others, both oral and written
- Japanese speaking and listening skills
7.2 to 9 million yen, and a 1% to 5% equity stake.