We are a technology company working on digitalizing international trading, and the first digital freight forwarding company in Japan. We are building a multi-sided digital platform which allows both customers (importer/exporter) and operators to efficiently and fluidly process international trade workflows, which are today processed mostly through human labor. Our platform currently covers freight forwarding and we are aiming to expand our coverage throughout the international trade supply chain.
At Shippio we are focused on revolutionizing the legacy industry of logistics. We plan to do away with the old way of tracking things on paper and by hand with a centralized platform that provides an easy to use dashboard for automatic data entry and document generation.
Our core values
- Be courageous and decisive. Don’t be afraid to take on challenges and don’t let precedent stand in the way of accomplishing goals
- Strive for greatness. Accept constructive criticism and be willing to continually improve yourself.
- Believe in your fellow crewmates. Enjoy developing as a team. Help team members grow and learn from them.
Our response to COVID-19
We had been working three days remotely per week, but due to COVID-19, we’ve moved to full remote for an undetermined time (employees are still free to go to the office if needed though). We provided masks to every employee in March (more than 100 masks per employee) and have a stock of boxes from which employees are free to take as needed.
About the position
In this position you’ll work on all major aspects of the Shippio product — from the back-end through to the end user experience. You will be involved in the design and development of Ruby applications service infrastructure in collaboration with project managers, designers, and front-end engineers. You’ll help to improve product quality through code review and teamwork. You’ll not only be focused on your current tasks, but think about the big picture, identifying potential upcoming problems, and giving suggestions when something is not optimal.
- 2+ years of experience in Ruby application development
- Good intra and inter-team communication skills
- Located in Japan
- Valid work authorization or eligibility to obtain it
- Communication skills in Japanese are highly appreciated
- Experience with GraphQL
- DevOps skills are more than welcomed
- Intellectually curious and eager to take on new challenges
- Interested in working on B2B development by leveraging your own development experience