We are a technology company working on digitalizing international trading, and the first digital freight forwarding company in Japan. We are building a multi-sided digital platform which allows both customers (importer/exporter) and operators to efficiently and fluidly process international trade workflows, which are today processed mostly through human labor. Our platform currently covers freight forwarding and we are aiming to expand our coverage throughout the international trade supply chain.
At Shippio we are focused on revolutionizing the legacy industry of logistics. We plan to do away with the old way of tracking things on paper and by hand with a centralized platform that provides an easy to use dashboard for automatic data entry and document generation.
Our core values
- Be courageous and decisive. Don’t be afraid to take on challenges and don’t let precedent stand in the way of accomplishing goals
- Strive for greatness. Accept constructive criticism and be willing to continually improve yourself.
- Believe in your fellow crewmates. Enjoy developing as a team. Help team members grow and learn from them.
Our Current Stack
We have a Ruby + RoR Back-End, deployed on AWS, we use GraphQL for API manipulation and our Front End is in React.js. However we are always looking for opportunities to use new technologies and languages so we would be happy to hear about your favourite technological stack!
Our response to COVID-19
We had been working three days remotely per week, but due to COVID-19, we’ve moved to full remote for an undetermined time (employees are still free to go to the office if needed though).
About the position
We created our product 3 years ago and realised last year that it was not aligned with the business strategy anymore. Thus last summer, we took the decision to rebuild it from scratch. We used this opportunity to move our FE stack from Vue.js to React.js as the team was eager to learn. We currently have 2 web-apps and will soon have a 3rd one, each with different user stories and challenges.
- Develop web applications using React.js
- Product quality improvement through code review and teamwork
- Critical analysis
- Achieve service compliance, stability, ease of use, and flexibility for continuous improvement
- Located in Japan
- 2+ years of experience in web application development
- Challenger, making small changes having huge impacts
- Able to work smoothly in a multicultural environment
- Good intra and inter-team communication skills
- Valid work authorization or eligibility to obtain it
While not required, tell us if you have experience with any of the following.
- Communication skills in Japanese are highly appreciated
- Intellectually curious and eager to take on new challenges
- Interested in working on Business to Business development by leveraging your own development experience
- Able to approach products from a user-first perspective
- Understand the back-end constraints and be able to design an API call
Portrait of our Front-End Engineers
- You don’t fall for the hype.
- You are an HTML & CSS aficionado.
- You don’t mind peer reviews, you love them.
- You tend to solve your problems with code, not dependencies.
- You are comfortable working in both a team and also independently to ensure goals are achieved.
- Quality of code is your priority and you follow best practices.
- You have an ability to foresee where your code may need to be altered to keep in line with the company strategy.