SmartNews is a news app with 20 million monthly active users in the U.S. and Japan. We are a machine-learning company deeply committed to helping users find quality news beyond the filter bubble.
Our algorithms evaluate tens of millions of articles, behaviors and social interactions to deliver only the most interesting and important stories on a global scale — a fascinating engineering challenge that has attracted a world-class data science and engineering team.
Join our international culture — smart work, smart people and a global mission to bring quality information to the world. Our perks include offering you a free healthy lunch, delicious coffee provided by our in-house barista, and financial support towards language-learning.
We don’t require Japanese ability, and welcome people looking to relocate to Japan.
Our response to COVID-19
Our user base is increasing quickly due to people’s interest in news (COVID and non-COVID related), and so we’re still hiring. If you’re abroad looking to relocate to Japan, we’re still interested. If you’re based in China or US, we can initially hire you with our local branches there, and then transfer you here in the future. If you’re based in another location, we’ll initially hire you as a remote contractor.
For our existing employees, in response to the situation, we’re having everyone work remotely for the time being.
About the position
Our Ads Infra teams support the foundation of the ads platform of SmartNews that is powering thousands of advertisers. Together with your team, you will be building and evolving infrastructure of SmartNews Ads platform to scale to 100x advertisers across the world.
- Own ad infrastructure that serves one of the fastest-growing ad platform in Japan
- Re-architect and build next-gen ad infrastructures that can serve 100x advertisers in multiple regions
- Own ad system which includes ad serving system, ad indexing/retrieval system, real-time data streaming/processing systems, and batch processing systems
- Make strong partnership with product teams and global ads engineering teams distributed in Shanghai, Tokyo, and the Bay Area.
- 3+ years of experience in architecting, developing, and shipping software products with large scale
- 3+ years of experience in building infrastructure/platform with large scale
- Able to distill complex problems and drive toward creative solutions
- Deep end-to-end understanding of sophisticated distributed systems and can proactively detect problems and make improvement suggestions
- Able to build a strong team through hiring, as well as mentoring/growing engineers by constantly challenging them with solid support
- Experience in leading cross team/cross org projects/initiatives
- Strong leadership and communication skills
- MS or BS in computer science, mathematics, physics or other quantitative fields
- Experience with cloud-based architecture (e.g. Amazon Web Services)
- Strong interest in news media and our mission
- Direct experience in ads platform or system that involves recommendations