SmartNews is a news app with 20 million monthly active users in the U.S. and Japan. We are a machine-learning company deeply committed to helping users find quality news beyond the filter bubble.
Our algorithms evaluate tens of millions of articles, behaviors and social interactions to deliver only the most interesting and important stories on a global scale — a fascinating engineering challenge that has attracted a world-class data science and engineering team.
Join our international culture — smart work, smart people and a global mission to bring quality information to the world. Our perks include offering you a free healthy lunch, delicious coffee provided by our in-house barista, and financial support towards language-learning.
We don’t require Japanese ability, and welcome people looking to relocate to Japan.
Our response to COVID-19
Our user base is increasing quickly due to people’s interest in news (COVID and non-COVID related), and so we’re still hiring. If you’re abroad looking to relocate to Japan, we’re still interested. If you’re based in China or US, we can initially hire you with our local branches there, and then transfer you here in the future. If you’re based in another location, we’ll initially hire you as a remote contractor.
For our existing employees, in response to the situation, we’re having everyone work remotely for the time being.
About the position
Our advertisers want to know how our ad is performing for them. You and your team will be building a foundation to measure how much value we were able to provide to our advertisers. You will own core components such as conversion tracking, ad pixels, browser tracking technologies, identify graphs, offline visit tracking, reporting to provide insights to advertisers and many more. These will require an in-depth understanding of the advertiser’s business and also some hard technical challenges.
- Make a strong partnership with product teams to build next generation of SmartNews measurement features
- Work with your team to build a technical roadmaps
- Own E2E impact of the product
- Worked on Ads or product that involves external business stakeholders.
- Able to build a strong team through hiring, as well as mentoring/growing engineers by constantly challenging them with solid support
- Experience in leading cross-team/cross org projects/initiatives
- Strong leadership and communication skills
- MS or BS in computer science, mathematics, physics or other quantitative field
- Experience working for ad measurement or similar area
- Experience with cloud-based architecture (e.g. Amazon Web Services)
- Business Level Japanese
- Experience in distributed
- Direct experience in the ads industry
- Have experience working together with distributed engineering/product teams.