SmartNews is a news app with 20 million monthly active users in the U.S. and Japan. We are a machine-learning company deeply committed to helping users find quality news beyond the filter bubble.
Our algorithms evaluate tens of millions of articles, behaviors and social interactions to deliver only the most interesting and important stories on a global scale — a fascinating engineering challenge that has attracted a world-class data science and engineering team.
Join our international culture — smart work, smart people and a global mission to bring quality information to the world. Our perks include offering you a free healthy lunch, delicious coffee provided by our in-house barista, and financial support towards language-learning.
We don’t require Japanese ability, and welcome people looking to relocate to Japan.
Our response to COVID-19
Our user base is increasing quickly due to people’s interest in news (COVID and non-COVID related), and so we’re still hiring. If you’re abroad looking to relocate to Japan, we’re still interested. If you’re based in China or US, we can initially hire you with our local branches there, and then transfer you here in the future. If you’re based in another location, we’ll initially hire you as a remote contractor.
For our existing employees, in response to the situation, we’re having everyone work remotely for the time being.
About the position
You are responsible to lead the infrastructure team in Tokyo and proactivly support the infrastructure team in the United States and China. Our infrastructure teams in Tokyo, the United States, and China support the scalable and reliable foundation of the entire content delivery platform of SmartNews that is impacting tens of millions of users globally. Together with your team, you will be supporting the further growth of the company and the product in terms of scalability and reliability of the entire system.
- Own entire content delivery platform of SmartNews
- Re-architect and build a next-gen infrastructures that can serve services to 100x bigger users base globally
- Own our content serving systems which include news serving systems, real-time metrics streaming/processing systems, and some commonly used systems in the company
- Make strong partnership with product teams and global engineering teams distributed in Tokyo, the United States, and China
- 3+ years of experience in architecting, developing, and shipping software products with large scale (e.g., a distributed systems handling 5M+ daily active users or 10K+ QPS)
- 3+ years of experience in building infrastructure/platform with large scale
- Able to distill complex problems and drive toward creative solutions. Able to have deep end-to-end understanding of sophisticated distributed systems and can proactively detect problems and make improvement suggestions
- Able to build a strong team through hiring, as well as mentoring/growing engineers by constantly challenging them with solid support
- Experience in leading cross team/cross org projects/initiatives
- Strong leadership and communication skills
- MS or BS in computer science, mathematics, or other quantitative fields
- 2+ years experience to manage 4+ members
- Experience to work with multi national members
- Experience with cloud-based architecture (e.g. Amazon Web Services)
- Strong interest in news media and our mission
- Direct experience in platforms or systems that involves recommendations and where scalability and reliability matters