SmartNews is a news app with 20 million monthly active users in the U.S. and Japan. We are a machine-learning company deeply committed to helping users find quality news beyond the filter bubble.
Our algorithms evaluate tens of millions of articles, behaviors and social interactions to deliver only the most interesting and important stories on a global scale — a fascinating engineering challenge that has attracted a world-class data science and engineering team.
Join our international culture — smart work, smart people and a global mission to bring quality information to the world. Our perks include offering you a free healthy lunch, delicious coffee provided by our in-house barista, and financial support towards language-learning.
We don’t require Japanese ability, and welcome people looking to relocate to Japan.
Our response to COVID-19
Our user base is increasing quickly due to people’s interest in news (COVID and non-COVID related), and so we’re still hiring. If you’re abroad looking to relocate to Japan, we’re still interested. If you’re based in China or US, we can initially hire you with our local branches there, and then transfer you here in the future. If you’re based in another location, we’ll initially hire you as a remote contractor.
For our existing employees, in response to the situation, we’re having everyone work remotely for the time being.
About the position
In this position, you’ll develop the server side for news or ads feeds, and continuously improve the system operation, stability, efficiency and scalability.
- Advanced skill and experience in more than one programming language
- Understanding of computer science
- High programming skills in one of these languages: Java, Scala, Kotlin, Python, Ruby
- Failure analysis and performance tuning in JVM operation
- Development experience on AWS
- Development and operation experience in high traffic web service
- Configuration, development and operation of Microservice / Service Mesh architecture
- Experience in SpringBoot, MySQL, PipelineDB, Elasticsearch, Hive, Hadoop, Spark, Docker, Kubernetes, Consul, Istio etc.