- Plan and execute engineering development of robust and scalable backend systems to enable state-of-the-art news delivery to millions of users
- Support the maintenance and the stability of our world-class core news delivery system components
- Collaborate closely with global cross-functional teams (Product Managers, Editors, Machine Learning engineers) to develop backend systems for new news-related product features
- Work closely with software engineers to optimize backend systems for news articles, pages, channels, search, and other news-related features to provide a high-quality user experience and increase user engagement
- Work closely with News Ranking and AI Foundation teams to develop systems that deliver personalized news
- Proactive, innovative, and creative problem solving for system improvements which will result in user impact
As a backend engineer, you’ll be joining one of these teams:
- Ads. Build high-quality, relevant, and profitable advertisement platforms.
- Content Platform. Work on scalability, flexibility, and new features for the entire content processing pipeline.
- Engagement. Develop scalable backend services to improve users’ engagement.
- Growth. Build and improve efficient marketing platform for JP Business Development and Marketing teams to support user acquisition.
- Infrastructure. Build and operate highly scalable infrastructure services.
- News Ranking & Delivery. Build news ranking and delivery systems that improves user experience through personalization.
- 3+ years of experience in building distributed, highly-scalable systems supporting millions of users, including design, coding, and evaluation/testing (Prefer Java, Kotlin, Scala. Open to Python, Golang)
- Strong educational background in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related technical fields
- Passion and interest towards solving world problems such as the digital divide, filter bubbles, echo chambers, group polarization, etc.
Nice to haves
These aren’t required, but be sure to mention them in your application if you have them.
- Experience developing ranking/recommendation/search related systems
- Failure analysis and performance tuning in JVM operation
- Familiar with tech stacks such as AWS, Spring-Boot, Elasticsearch, Kafka, Flink, etc