SpeakBuddy is an online service that helps users acquire language abilities. We believe that the spoken language sends a message not to the brain, but to the heart. Language learners need tons of speaking practice, but that costs too much money and time, so we created AI buddies on a smartphone. SpeakBuddy helps learners to acquire solid language skills, especially focusing on speaking skills.
We typically use both English and Japanese for internal communication. More than 20% of our members are from different countries including the US, the UK, Australia, Netherlands, Norway, and China. Also, many of our Japanese members speak conversational level English.
However, the users of our services are Japanese, so some Japanese reading and speaking proficiency would be a great asset, though not a hard requirement.
Overseas applicants welcomed
We accept overseas developers looking to relocate to Japan. In some cases, we may accept remote work from overseas, but we’ll handle this on a case-by-case basis.
Our response to COVID-19
We started full-remote work from April 2020, and we’re continuing that work style now. Members can also come to the office in Minami-Aoyama, but basically you can work anywhere you want. We haven’t decided the details definitively, but we might require members to commute to the office once a week / month after the COVID-19 situation ends.
About the position
We are looking for a mid to senior level (not junior) Android engineer who can basically complete all of their tasks independenly, but who is also enthusiastic about collaboration, discussion, and working on other projects with the team.
Requirements & responsibilities
- At least 2 years of Android development experience or equivalent knowledge (Kotlin, ideally)
- Proactive, self-starting, can-do mentality
- Enthusiastic about architecture / patterns / testable code
- Collaborate with a team to design, implement, test & release new feature
- Android apps release experience
Skills used in our product & development
- App architecture
- Jetpack libraries
- Material design
- Git flow
Nice to haves
While not required, tell us if you have experience with any of the following.
- Server-side (SpringBoot, ideally) development skill
- Machine learning knowledge / development skill
- Analytics & growth knowledge
- Enough Japanese ability to understand and handle bug reports in Japanese, and write simple Japanese text such as error messages for our app.
Our hiring process
- Check resume
- Initial interview with an engineer (get to know each other & light skill check)
- 2nd interview with engineering managers
- Online reference check
- Final interview with executives
We don’t require candidates to take any written tests or coding tests.