Tellus is a growing, mission-driven, health-tech start-up focused on improving healthcare, and eldercare in particular. Our personal experience was our inspiration: we wanted to build a technology for our loved ones that provided us with actionable health information and peace-of-mind, all while protecting their privacy and independence.
Like so many of you - we have cared for an aging family member and tried all the unsatisfying gadgets like cameras, bracelets, and bed sensors. This is why we have created a novel way to monitor important health information. Tellus is a non-contact device, using AI and sensors (with no wearables, microphones or video cameras). Our highly impactful algorithms detect falls, sleep and vitals – and send alerts when things look concerning. Our most recent work relates to coughing and early disease symptom detection. Our technology has been tested in eldercare facilities in Japan for accuracy and effectiveness.
We don’t require any Japanese ability, and all our team members speak English. We’re open to candidates looking to relocate to Japan, working from where you are located for the time being with the intention that you’ll move to Japan once things open up again.
Some quick highlights about working at Tellus:
- Chance to level up and room for growth into management positions
- Opportunity to work closely with CEO, CTO and Investors
- Work on cutting edge technology and define the processes and tools implemented at an early stage
- Opportunity to travel internationally
- Competitive Salary and Benefits
- Flexible work from home
With offices in San Francisco and Tokyo, we are a small and agile team on a mission to improve the lives of others through technology. We have a culture of teamwork, kindness, creativity and high performance and we are all united by our passion to change healthcare and eldercare specifically.
Our response to COVID-19
We have been working from home since February. All interviews, onboarding and work will be done online for the foreseeable future. Since our company is split across Tokyo and San Fransisco, all our meetings were already being held online.
About the position
In order to ensure the long-term reliability, security and scalability of our system as we grow, we are looking for an experienced Software Engineer to take ownership of our backend systems. In this role, you will have the responsibility of shaping our web application as it evolves, balancing current needs with future features. You will collaborate closely together with our Product, AI and Hardware teams to ensure the implementation of new features while contributing to the end-to-end stability of the system. This position is based in either San Francisco, CA or Tokyo, Japan.
What You’ll Do:
- Drive development of our backend, with a keen eye on the privacy and security of our system’s data and scalability of our system
- Be responsible for the technical direction of our backend systems, including choosing the tech stack as we evolve our system, defining the service architecture and defining APIs
- Collaborate with our ML team on the implementation of our ML pipeline
- Planning and coordinating with other engineers who will be consuming your services
- Own the deployment, operations and monitoring of your services
What you’ll need
- 5+ years professional experience in software development
- Strong backend skills including sound knowledge on security and scalability of systems
- Experience with a variety of programming languages (Go, Node.js, Python, etc) and databases (SQL)
- Experience architecting for the cloud
- Experience working on cross-functional teams including designers
- Worked in a startup environment previously - comfortable with ambiguity and change
- Comfortable with proactive communication and technical leadership