Tractable develops artificial intelligence for accident and disaster recovery. We are on a journey to help the world recover faster from accidents and disasters that affect hundreds of millions of lives, from car accidents and burst piping, to full-scale floods and hurricanes.
Accident and disaster recovery starts with visual damage appraisal: assess the damage, calculate the cost, unlock the funds and rebuild. However, the first stage of assessing the problem can take days to weeks. Our belief is that when accidents and disasters hit, the response could be 10 times faster, thanks to AI.
We are starting with motor damage. Our AI assesses damage to any car, whether in Europe, North America or Asia, and we work with the world’s leading insurers in over 10 countries across the world, including Tokio Marine in Japan, Ageas in the UK, Covéa in France, The Hartford in the US, and Talanx-Warta in Poland.
Founded in 2014, Tractable has a world-class research and development team with over 30 years of combined research experience, and its solution is built on five years of dedicated research and development work undertaken by a team of Oxford/Cambridge-trained researchers. Tractable has raised $55m from Georgian Partners, Insight Partners and other top-tier investors, and the company is based in London, with offices in New York City and Tokyo.
Fast growing Tokyo office
Our Tokyo office is the main office in APAC. In Japan, we currently have 20 employees, but will probably double that by the end of the year. Currently about 35% of employees are foreigners, and internal communication is mainly in English.
Engineering @ Tractable
There’s around 30 of us in the engineering team and we play a key part in bringing our AI to life. We collaborate closely with the Research teams who are responsible for developing our core AI models, we then enable that AI capability to be deployed to real world problems by building out products using modern open-source technologies and best practices.
We work in small product teams consisting typically of around 4 Software Engineers, a Product Manager and a Product Designer. The way we build our product is by putting together a talented team with all the skills and context it needs to be able to solve real world problems through close collaboration and agile best practices. Our Engineers are very product minded and play an active role in shaping the future direction of the product. They understand the wider business context of developing new features and develop a deep understanding of our customers and the user impact of our product, through close collaboration with the Product Manager and Designer of the team.
You will be working out how we can best help millions of people around the world recover faster from an accident. We’re proud to see our products have a massive impact on people daily… and we know this is just the beginning.
We rely heavily on the following tools and technologies below – but you don’t need to have prior experience in all of them. We don’t mind what languages or frameworks you’ve used before (in fact, different experiences bring different perspectives to the team). We use:
- Python for our data heavy ingestion components
- PostgreSQL for persistent data storage
- Typescript on Node.js with GraphQL to write scalable APIs and UIs
- Apache Kafka for our asynchronous message queue
- Jenkins to run our testing and deployment pipelines
- Docker to containerize all our applications
- Apache Mesos + DC/OS (and very soon Kubernetes!) to orchestrate our applications
- AWS for our infrastructure with heavy focus on S3, Lambdas and EC2 instances
Our response to COVID-19
During the COVID-19 pandemic, we’ve given our employees the choice to work from home or come to the office.
About the position
We’re looking for a Engineering Team Lead, APAC, to lead our team of Solution Engineers in Tokyo. Solution Engineers are first responders in integrating customers’ data pipelines into our AI platform. Supported by our core Engineering and AI Research teams, they work directly with customers to provide a comprehensive integration from high-level design and prototyping to final implementation and delivery. As a Engineering Team Lead for APAC, you and your team will work in close contact with our Japan Country Manager and our London-based engineering team.
What you will be doing:
- Defining the technical architecture for a new integration and leading its scoping and delivery
- Being hands on with code (at least 50%) in delivering technical solutions to our customers
- Leading the engineering team in Japan while providing technical guidance / mentorship to team members
- Working with our product and research teams, as well as our customers, to scope, build, and deliver new features.
- Introducing and driving best practices across the team
- Working closely with our business team to agree on prioritisation and delivery timelines
- Continuously improving processes and engineering culture within our wider engineering team
What we’re looking for…
- Strong desire to lead a team of engineers. Perhaps you have already led a team, or have a strong desire to step up and do so.
- Track record of building and delivering customer focused solutions
- Work at a key intersection in the business between customers, engineering and business development
- Ability to build relationships with our Japanese customers’ IT and engineering teams.
- Strong stakeholder management skills to engage with our engineering and business teams
- Demonstrable experience with architectural design of complex systems
- Backend programming skills in any OO language
- Strong experience in evaluating different technologies and tools and ability to discuss merits / trade-offs for their use
- Proven experience introducing / driving engineering best practices and processes across teams
- Ability to manage multiple high-priority workstreams in a highly dynamic environment with rapidly changing objectives
- A strong product focus & mindset
- Strong communication & collaboration skills to integrate well into our highly collaborative environment
Nice to haves
These aren’t required, but be sure to mention them in your application if you have them.
- Japanese language proficiency (we communicate with our customers in Japanese, but internally we can use English)
- Please note - Experience in AI or ML is not required for the role. However, if you have a strong interest in this field, then we’re a great place to gain some meaningful exposure.