Tractable develops artificial intelligence for accident and disaster recovery. We are on a journey to help the world recover faster from accidents and disasters that affect hundreds of millions of lives, from car accidents and burst piping, to full-scale floods and hurricanes.
Accident and disaster recovery starts with visual damage appraisal: assess the damage, calculate the cost, unlock the funds and rebuild. However, the first stage of assessing the problem can take days to weeks. Our belief is that when accidents and disasters hit, the response could be 10 times faster, thanks to AI.
We are starting with motor damage. Our AI assesses damage to any car, whether in Europe, North America or Asia, and we work with the world’s leading insurers in over 10 countries across the world, including Tokio Marine in Japan, Ageas in the UK, Covéa in France, The Hartford in the US, and Talanx-Warta in Poland.
Founded in 2014, Tractable has a world-class research and development team with over 30 years of combined research experience, and its solution is built on five years of dedicated research and development work undertaken by a team of Oxford/Cambridge-trained researchers. Tractable has raised $55m from Georgian Partners, Insight Partners and other top-tier investors, and the company is based in London, with offices in New York City and Tokyo.
Fast growing Tokyo office
Our Tokyo office is the main office in APAC. In Japan, we currently have 20 employees, but will probably double that by the end of the year. Currently about 35% of employees are foreigners, and internal communication is mainly in English.
Engineering @ Tractable
There’s around 30 of us in the engineering team and we play a key part in bringing our AI to life. We collaborate closely with the Research teams who are responsible for developing our core AI models, we then enable that AI capability to be deployed to real world problems by building out products using modern open-source technologies and best practices.
We work in small product teams consisting typically of around 4 Software Engineers, a Product Manager and a Product Designer. The way we build our product is by putting together a talented team with all the skills and context it needs to be able to solve real world problems through close collaboration and agile best practices. Our Engineers are very product minded and play an active role in shaping the future direction of the product. They understand the wider business context of developing new features and develop a deep understanding of our customers and the user impact of our product, through close collaboration with the Product Manager and Designer of the team.
You will be working out how we can best help millions of people around the world recover faster from an accident. We’re proud to see our products have a massive impact on people daily… and we know this is just the beginning.
We rely heavily on the following tools and technologies below – but you don’t need to have prior experience in all of them. We don’t mind what languages or frameworks you’ve used before (in fact, different experiences bring different perspectives to the team). We use:
- Python for our data heavy ingestion components
- PostgreSQL for persistent data storage
- Typescript on Node.js with GraphQL to write scalable APIs and UIs
- Apache Kafka for our asynchronous message queue
- Jenkins to run our testing and deployment pipelines
- Docker to containerize all our applications
- Apache Mesos + DC/OS (and very soon Kubernetes!) to orchestrate our applications
- AWS for our infrastructure with heavy focus on S3, Lambdas and EC2 instances
Our response to COVID-19
During the COVID-19 pandemic, we’ve given our employees the choice to work from home or come to the office.
About the position
You will be responsible for integrating customers’ data pipelines into our platform. You will work directly with customers and internal teams to provide a comprehensive integration from high-level design and prototyping to final implementation and delivery. You will work in close contact with our Japan Country Manager and our engineering team, and specifically you will:
- Own and deliver integrations to our AI platform
- New API integrations
- Liaise with internal engineering and business teams to resolve technical and communicate customer needs
- Apply advanced troubleshooting techniques (debug and diagnose) on critical, highly complex problems that span multiple layers of the technology stack
What we’re looking for…
- Enthusiastic, driven, and motivated to be part of a small team and making huge impact
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Hands-on experience with XML, XSLT, JSON, SOAP, REST protocols, web applications and APIs
- Ability to work independently
- Experience working directly with customers
Nice to haves
These aren’t required, but be sure to mention them in your application if you have them.
Japanese language proficiency (we communicate with our customers in Japanese, but internally we can use English)
- Visa sponsorship if required
- High salary & 6-month salary reviews
- Equity in a rapidly growing Series C start-up
- Flexible working hours
- L+D budget
- Daily snacks & soft drinks
- Opportunity to grow a successful AI company
- Excellent career growth opportunities as we grow our business