About Treasure Data
Treasure Data is the only enterprise Customer Data Platform (CDP) that harmonizes an organization’s data, insights, and engagement technology stacks to drive relevant, real-time customer experiences throughout the entire customer journey. Treasure Data helps brands give millions of customers and prospects the feeling that each is the one and only. With its ability to create true, unified views of each individual, Treasure Data CDP is central for enterprises who want to know who is ready to buy, plus when and how to drive them to convert. Flexible, tech-agnostic and infinitely scalable, Treasure Data provides fast time to value even in the most complex environments.
International from the beginning
Treasure Data was founded by Hiro Yoshikawa, Kazuki Ohta, and Sadayuki Furuhashi, three highly technical Japanese entrepreneurs. With international ambitions from the beginning, they founded the company in the Bay Area.
The company is globally distributed, with a mix of Japanese and international members. English is the official language of the company, and Japanese is only used when it is easier for people to discuss something in it. People who are currently overseas but looking to move to Japan are welcome to join.
Open Source is in our DNA
We believe in the open source community and invests in moving open source projects forward.
Over the last 15 years, we have invented an open data protocol adopted by Apple, Uber and thousands of other companies, created one of the world’s largest Hadoop user communities, and brought Linux to the Fortune 100.
We know first-hand that open source makes software more accessible, developers more connected, and the world a little smaller. We strive to give back to the community and welcome your contributions to our projects.
Treasure Data moved to remote-based work in March 2020 and is committed to ensuring it remains agile to accommodate shifting preferences of its workforce. While we are not working shoulder-to-shoulder, we still work side-by-side, finding unique ways to connect and create together while also respecting each other’s life priorities outside of work.
- Humility - Greatness is achieved by overcoming obstacles. Mistakes are opportunities to improve. Knowing this, we welcome feedback from customers and colleagues while constantly striving to learn and grow
- Openness - We embrace transparency wherever practical and reasonable. All communication must be transparent by default. We work to maximize information flow within the company and praise all those who do the same
- Honesty - It’s easy to be honest about things you feel good about—much harder with the things you don’t. We encourage directness and sincerity in all scenarios. Admitting failure is the first step toward learning and growth. Honesty builds trust and nurtures efficient teamwork
- Reliability - Our customers rely on our service and build their companies upon it. Likewise, we rely upon each other to build our own business. We know this, and take responsibility to be reliable for our customers and each other
About the position
We are looking for an experienced Software Engineer who is excited to work within our Platform operating group. This group is made up of teams that span a wide area, including streaming data ingestion, columnar data storage and optimization, OSS query engines like Trino (Presto) and Hive, and the multi-tenant fair scheduling that underpins it all. This combination of systems encompasses the background processing and execution of all customer actions within the Treasure Data platform.
As an Engineer on our Platform group, you will join a culturally diverse team with expertise in designing, building and operating big data pipelines at scale - billions of records daily. We also encourage partnering with cross-functional teams of engineers and product managers to drive and impact our product development and roadmap directions. As we iterate through the development process, you would work directly with our incredible customer success team, solution engineers and architects to provide recommendations and gather feedback to move our technology forward.
You are excited about this opportunity because
- You are enthusiastic about technology
- You enjoy collaboration with world-class engineers across time zones and languages
- You welcome challenges posed by building and operating large-scale, distributed systems on cloud infrastructure, we use AWS
- You embrace small, frequent, incremental production releases with quality
- You’d like more experience working with low-latency, high-volume data streams
- You’d like more experience with Kotlin and serverless environments
- You’re interested in the culture of small daily releases and helping to accelerate it
- You’d like to own what you build with on-call duty, monitoring, analyzing and improving
- You appreciate partnering with Customer Success
- Appreciate workplace diversity and embrace cultural difference
- Bias toward communication, empathy and patience working with your colleagues
- Work well in a distributed team where English is the language of choice
- Are motivated by challenge, curiosity and possess a growth mindset
- Understand reliability, availability and maintainability in a distributed system
- Create clean and well tested code that improves our codebase in meaningful waysUse monitoring and data to drive product and engineering decisions
- Have a passion for technology, enjoy solving problems with code
- Have the ability to translate business requirements into engineering roadmaps
- Are comfortable working with Kotlin or Java and always keep a keen eye for sensible alternatives and trends
- Have familiarity with data structures, algorithms but also have experience evolving larger, living systems over time
Nice to haves
These aren’t required, but be sure to mention them in your application if you have them.
- Have experience building real-time stream processing systems using engines like Flink, Spark or similar
- Have worked with streaming data platforms such as Kafka and Kinesis
- Own or are actively contributing to open-source projects
- Are familiar with security best practicesHave hands-on experience with infrastructure as code
- Have strong UNIX systems programming background which should include experience with operating systems, multithreading, distributed computing, file/socket I/O and related challenges
- Have experience with some of the technology the team uses, Kotlin, Dropwizard, Ruby, PostgreSQL, Memcached, CircleCI, Datadog, AWS
- Very competitive compensation package
- Provision of RSU
- 20+ days of paid leave