About Treasure Data
Treasure Data is the only enterprise Customer Data Platform (CDP) that harmonizes an organization’s data, insights, and engagement technology stacks to drive relevant, real-time customer experiences throughout the entire customer journey. Treasure Data helps brands give millions of customers and prospects the feeling that each is the one and only. With its ability to create true, unified views of each individual, Treasure Data CDP is central for enterprises who want to know who is ready to buy, plus when and how to drive them to convert. Flexible, tech-agnostic and infinitely scalable, Treasure Data provides fast time to value even in the most complex environments.
International from the beginning
Treasure Data was founded by Hiro Yoshikawa, Kazuki Ohta, and Sadayuki Furuhashi, three highly technical Japanese entrepreneurs. With international ambitions from the beginning, they founded the company in the Bay Area.
The company is globally distributed, with a mix of Japanese and international members. English is the official language of the company, and Japanese is only used when it is easier for people to discuss something in it. People who are currently overseas but looking to move to Japan are welcome to join.
Open Source is in our DNA
We believe in the open source community and invests in moving open source projects forward.
Over the last 15 years, we have invented an open data protocol adopted by Apple, Uber and thousands of other companies, created one of the world’s largest Hadoop user communities, and brought Linux to the Fortune 100.
We know first-hand that open source makes software more accessible, developers more connected, and the world a little smaller. We strive to give back to the community and welcome your contributions to our projects.
Treasure Data moved to remote-based work in March 2020 and is committed to ensuring it remains agile to accommodate shifting preferences of its workforce. While we are not working shoulder-to-shoulder, we still work side-by-side, finding unique ways to connect and create together while also respecting each other’s life priorities outside of work.
- Humility - Greatness is achieved by overcoming obstacles. Mistakes are opportunities to improve. Knowing this, we welcome feedback from customers and colleagues while constantly striving to learn and grow
- Openness - We embrace transparency wherever practical and reasonable. All communication must be transparent by default. We work to maximize information flow within the company and praise all those who do the same
- Honesty - It’s easy to be honest about things you feel good about—much harder with the things you don’t. We encourage directness and sincerity in all scenarios. Admitting failure is the first step toward learning and growth. Honesty builds trust and nurtures efficient teamwork
- Reliability - Our customers rely on our service and build their companies upon it. Likewise, we rely upon each other to build our own business. We know this, and take responsibility to be reliable for our customers and each other
About the position
Senior Engineers at Treasure Data understand and make well-reasoned design decisions and tradeoffs in their area, and are able to work in other areas of the system with guidance. They are eager to iteratively and rapidly deliver resilient systems while helping their team and department deliver smoothly, plan for the future, and reduce complexity and risk of their technical deliverables. You communicate technical decisions clearly and visibly to the team. You regularly deliver software or systems on-time and are constantly working to make accurate forecasts and deliver on those forecasts.
Success in this role requires working directly and specifically in your area, but also regularly contributing to common code, standards, and practices. You and your team will be directly responsible for solutions for the platform in these key areas: Cloud Networking Design, Implementation, Administration, and Automation.
Things you will do:
- Work with Site Reliability Engineering, IT Operations, Corporate IT, and Security & Trust teams to meet Engineering objectives for security and compliance
- Work with Engineering teams to focus the team on high value projects, lead delivery and identify major initiatives on clear timeline
- Scope and stage quarter-sized projects into well defined milestones allowing for incremental delivery aligned to intentional tradeoffs.
- With your team, create, improve, operate, and retire core platform services and APIs used by teams to deliver value to customers
- With your team as service owners, create, improve, operate, and retire services in the critical path of production
- Spend most of your time as a delivery contributor: writing high quality, testable code for our systems, and assisting with production operations as part of our full team on-call rotation
- Architecture for the near-future of networking, routing, subnets, addressing, connectivity as-code representation and change management of it
- Work with our security and trust team to build in capabilities for security & compliance tooling to monitor/observe network connectivity for our customers (public AND private)
Nice to haves
These aren’t required, but be sure to mention them in your application if you have them.
- Have experience operating services running in the cloud on AWS, or other public clouds or virtualized API-driven platforms along with a clear knowledge of how they differ.
- Have experience with distributed systems and operating them as they scale, including understanding their common failure modes.
- You are a student of complex systems theory and how to build resilient and adaptive systems and teams.
- Have experience on designing and maintenance of systems running on public cloud which is distributed across multiple geo locations on the globe, including connectivity between those different locations
- Have experience to establish/maintain highly-resilient networking infrastructure between cloud and on-premises utilizing AWS DirectConnect or some VPN solutions, including good understanding on IPv4 routing technologies like BGP
- Pride yourself on giving back to your community: open source contributions, speaking, teaching, mentoring, or helping others.
- Articulate and personable with strong spoken and written English language abilities.
- Experience speaking and/or writing Japanese.
- Very competitive compensation package
- Provision of RSU
- 20+ days of paid leave