At Unscene, we are working hard to make sharing ideas in 3D simple for anyone. Unscene is simple and intuitive web based 3D presentation tool. Users, especially from the manufacturing industry, use Unscene to create sales and promotion materials, manuals and work instructions, all in 3D! If you haven’t already, check out these slides to learn more about us.
So far, over 500+ companies have pre-registered for Unscene. We are currently running a closed beta program with 20 companies.
We have raised 63M JPY (around 580K USD) seed round from East Ventures, GREE Ventures and Apricot Ventures. East Ventures has a successful track record of investing in start ups such as Mercari, BizReach, Base, SmartHR among others in Japan, as well as Tokopedia and Traveloka in Indonesia.
- Almost all information is shared openly — including our cap-table, cashflow, notes from customer interviews etc.
- We give, as well as deal with honest feedbacks from our colleagues (even the hard ones).
- The culture of ‘honest feedbacks’ is built on the foundation of all of us remaining humble, respectful and trusting each other’s abilities.
- Make something people want
- Technology is cool, but we exist to build products that our users love and find valuable.
- We find the most efficient and quickest ways to validate our assumptions, ideas and solutions.
We also have Rag as an engineering advisor.
We communicate in English
All written communication is done in English. Japanese is not required, but preferred.
Our current prototype is built using the following. This is likely to change as the product evolves.
- Front-end: React.js, Bablyon.js
- Back-end: Java, Kotlin
- Infra: Google Cloud Platform
Our Hiring Process
- We will do a one hour call to get to know each other.
- Next, we will conduct two rounds of technical interviews, and a culture-fit interview (one hour each).
- After the interviews, preferably we like to work with you on a project for at least two weeks. (of course, we’d pay you for your time). Often working together for a bit is a great way to determine whether there’s a good match as future teammates and it can give you a lot of transparency.
Our response to COVID-19
Due to COVID-19 related uncertainties, we prefer to work with someone who is already here in Japan.
We usually work from our office in Shibuya. Due to COVID-19 emergency declaration in Tokyo, we offer the flexibility to work either from our office or from your home. Prototyping a product like Unscene, as well as a building a company culture requires frequent feedback and communication, which is hard to achieve remotely. After the emergency declaration is lifted, we will be working mostly from our office. You can still work remotely on one or two days a week, if you choose to.
About the position
We are looking for a passionate engineer who is interested in owning the end to end experience, system design and implementation of Unscene’s 3D presentation. The engineer should ideally have experience working full stack. We value strong technical background and previous development experience in delivering breakthrough products and services. The ideal engineer is a highly motivated leader who leverages existing knowledge and experience to quickly pick up new skills and knowledge.
The engineer must be comfortable with communication with different stakeholders and be able to simplify and communicate complex concepts. The engineer is expected to lead and manage engineering projects, coordinate between product and engineering teams to co-create a high quality 3D presentation system that launches on-time and on-budget.
- You will work with the product team to clarify the requirements and be able to turn the product needs into the technical design, and provide technical feedback to the product team.
- You will lead the technical design to identify the right solution and break down the tasks.
- You will work with multiple engineers and communicate the tasks well with the team.
- You will work on the delivery of high-quality code components that will power the client and frontend experiences for our products.
- You will develop and own new 3D features from design through to implementation and launch.
- Collaborate closely with other senior engineers as well as product managers and designers.
- Focus on code quality and engage in code and design reviews.
- Develop new skills and learn new languages with the full support of your peers.
- BS in engineering or computer science or equivalent years of experience
- 2+ years of backend development experience
- English reading and writing skills
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Strong computer science fundamentals
- Dedication to code quality, performance and continuous improvement
- Strong debugging and optimization skills
- Experience with 3D/webGL libraries such as three.js, babylon.js
- Familiarity with web application and infrastructure of AWS or Google Cloud Platform
- Experience with the development lifecycle and scrum or kanban task management process
- Ability to quickly learn the job (with mentoring from others) and can mentor junior engineers
- Ability to clearly and concisely communicate and interact with others, both oral and written
- Japanese speaking and listening skills
7.2 to 9 million yen, and a 1% to 5% equity stake.