About Visual Alpha
Our response to COVID-19
While we allow remote work, you’ll be expected to come into the office a few days a week.
About the position
We are currently hiring for a software architect role to lead on software architecture design, functional design, and implementation.
- Work for a fast growing B2B fintech startup to innovate investment management
- Join a diverse international team of data science and investment experts
- Become one of the earliest members of a promising startup
- Translate complex client requirements into practical, cloud-scalable technical solutions.
- Implement front-end and back-end functional components.
- Typical time allocation: design 50%, implementation 50%.
- Mentor other team members through attentive code review and sharing experience in (for example) design pattern advantages and disadvantages
- Confident full-stack development in monolithic and microservices architectures
- A love of learning and proven experience in becoming a domain expert; in our case, you will become an expert in investment data analysis and investment reporting visualization
- Pragmatic experience with Agile development methodologies (Scrum, eXtreme Programming, etc) and iterative process improvements
- Ongoing awareness of AWS platform services, updates, and experience with Infrastructure as Code
- Self-motivated, client-oriented thinking
- Strong design, presentation, and collaboration skills; must be a strong team player
- Fluent in English
- Knowledge of investment management (significant advantage)
- Very strong background in merging datasets from various offline and online sources (ex: ETL systems, data lakes, etc)
- Previous experience in setting up cloud information security standard
- Conversational Japanese
React, PHP (Laravel), Mysql, ApolloClient, GraphQL, Restful API, AWS, CircleCI, Git, Github
A Day in the Life
Generally you’ll be working in “sprints”: Everyone on the dev team delivers features to our client in a 1~2 weeks sprint. We encourage developers to deliver features to our clients independently by implementing a well designed full stack solution reviewed by the team.
So your day might break down like this:
Morning: Come in around 9am, check messages, emails, arrange short, medium and long-term to-do lists. Note that under the current covid situation, we only come to office twice a week. Carry out coding, problem-solving and development. At various points you will ask for advice (or give advice). After you find a solution, you’d usually create a “change request” or “pull request” summarising changes proposed. This would probably bring you to lunch.
Afternoon: The afternoon is often when meetings are held and longer-term projects are discussed. After design discussions, you’re given a list of requirements, and then you would have to document the system design and get it reviewed.
End of Day: Wrap up work and get critical questions clarified before the end of day. Most people will leave around 5:30pm, and sometimes we have a bit after work drinks toward the weekend. We are flexible with working hours, but rather emphasizing on efficiency and quality.