One of our members concurrently manages the FrontEnd team, but as the organization expands and new business begins, more management responsibilities are being added. At this time, we are looking for a dedicated Engineering Manager to make the FrontEnd team stronger.
The difference between this position and the Engineering Manager is that this position is looking for people who can lead with hands-on technical expertise.
If your strengths lie more in management and you want to contribute in a way that supports the senior engineer and Tech Lead, consider applying for the Engineering Manager (Frontend) position. While this role also requires People/Project management, it mainly focuses on hands-on technical expertise.
- Help with members’ development tasks, to work on their professional expertise and to offer guidance and advice for their challenges and development goals.
- Lead FrontEnd Manager is not only responsible for their team management, but also works in a scum like everybody else. (Lead Frontend Manager is also part of a squad and is involved in the day-to-day work, which helps them stay in touch with reality.)
- By demonstrating professional expertise and touching with reality, lead frontend manager should consider future architecture, vision and need to understand current technical debts, complexity.
- Brainstorm with Product Managers, Designers, Backend, and Frontend Engineers to build new features, architectures.
- FrontEnd development by using TypeScript, React.js , Next.js and so on.
- BFF development by using TypeScript, GraphQL, Nest.js and so on.
- Work with Product Manager, Program Manager, and Agile Coach to help front-end engineers develop efficiently
- Constantly consider the balance between the time required for system improvements and the time used to deliver the functionality required by the business, and optimize it in discussions with the stakeholder.
- Discuss front-end technical direction with senior front-end engineers and tech leads to formulate and plan technology.
- Conduct code reviews, and make technical contributions to product architecture as well as getting involved in solving bugs and delivering small features
- Contribute to the sense of psychological safety on your team
- Hold regular 1:1’s with all members of their team
- Give regular and clear feedback around the individual’s performance
- Maintain and improve existing products.
- 1+ years of engineering management for productive, high functioning teams. You can describe why these teams were high functioning and what you specifically did to ensure engineers felt productive.
- 7+ years of building software development with software development.
- 3+ years of building software development with React.
- Be able to explain complex technical concepts and share your knowledge with diverse audiences both internally and externally.
- Be able to weigh several, and often conflicting constraints and make decisions in a fast-moving and quickly-growing company.
- Anticipating future technical needs for the product and make plans to realize them.
- Good at creating roadmaps and can develop a long-term team vision in partnership with other engineering teams.
- Can be accountable for driving project execution.
- Helping engineers develop new skills and advance in their careers. You don’t shy away from performance conversations and you recognize the relationship between objective feedback and career growth.
- Be willing to hands-on depending on the situation.
- Deep understanding of React and TypeScript and dom.
- Experience with building single page application with TypeScript.
- Experience in interface design of web API.
- Accessibility, internationalization, or localization.
- Strong UX and design sensibilities and an interest in sweating the small stuff.
Nice to haves
While not required, tell us if you have any of the following.
- Practical experience in evaluation and feedback of people
- Experience in managing off-shore engineers
- Experience in budgeting
- Better understanding of docker, k8s, aws, terraform.
- Experience in restructuring legacy products
- Experience in the financial / prop-tech industry.
- Experience in development with GraphQL/BFF.
- Experience in development with grpc.
- Experience in development with NestJS.
7.5M - 11M JPY annually.