Mercari is a marketplace app that makes it easy for people to safely sell and ship their things. Having been downloaded over 100 million times, it is now among the largest peer-to-peer selling platforms globally.
Though we have over 1,800 employees, we still have a startup culture, where we encourage people to come up with big, crazy ideas, and to not be afraid of failure. Because the company is rapidly growing, you can set your own path, and there is enough transparency to allow our members to do so. For instance, at our all-hands meetings, every single member is encouraged to ask questions directly to our executive team.
We're a Japanese company, but are building a global work culture, and so we provide a great opportunity to experience a blend of Japanese and international culture. We relocate developers from around the world to join our team, and provide translation and interpretation to smooth communication between members.
We want our employees to be able to give 100% both inside and outside of the office, and our benefits reflect this. These include providing language education, financial support for childcare, and allowing you to pursue paid side gigs outside of working with us.
About the position
We are looking for someone who can navigate obstacles, negotiate with stakeholders and grow their team members to optimize their output both as individuals and as a team. The backend team works on the development and operation of the Mercari API, the framework supporting the entire company.
Mercari is currently transitioning from our existing monolithic system to microservices, leading to significant changes and expansion within the team. Amidst these conditions, the engineering manager must propose and implement measures to support members grow and to help expand the team. These are part of a larger effort to ensure that the backend team functions properly within Mercari and helps the company maximize its output.
Proposing and implementing strategies to solve problems and improve our engineering organization, such as:
- Evaluating and leading bold organizational changes that will allow development/operation to change and grow
- Evaluating and promoting projects for hiring, onboarding, and assigning that will help engineers regularly give their best performance within a rapidly growing team
- Proposing and developing new tech projects (projects by the engineering teams) with team members
- Planning and running internal events (EM Philosophy Talk, Lunch & Learn, etc.) with the aim of sharing knowledge and increasing understanding of the organization
- Participating in hiring and PR activities to grow our engineering organization
Maximizing engineering output and encouraging career growth through tasks such as:
- Handling goal setting and evaluations for engineer growth each quarter, in addition to holding 1-on-1 meetings for regular communication and feedback
- Assigning projects and roles to engineers while considering their future career growth
- Experience developing software with backend technologies
- Management experience
- Experience with interdepartmental coordination
- Experience mentoring engineers
- Experience hiring engineers (screening applications, interviewing, direct recruiting, hosting events, etc.)
- Experience of scrum
- Strong understanding of the company mission and values