Mercari is a marketplace app that makes it easy for people to safely sell and ship their things. Having been downloaded over 100 million times, it is now among the largest peer-to-peer selling platforms globally.
Though we have over 1,800 employees, we still have a startup culture, where we encourage people to come up with big, crazy ideas, and to not be afraid of failure. Because the company is rapidly growing, you can set your own path, and there is enough transparency to allow our members to do so. For instance, at our all-hands meetings, every single member is encouraged to ask questions directly to our executive team.
We're a Japanese company, but are building a global work culture, and so we provide a great opportunity to experience a blend of Japanese and international culture. We relocate developers from around the world to join our team, and provide translation and interpretation to smooth communication between members.
We want our employees to be able to give 100% both inside and outside of the office, and our benefits reflect this. These include providing language education, financial support for childcare, and allowing you to pursue paid side gigs outside of working with us.
About the position
As a Site Reliability Engineer (SRE), you will be responsible for building the servers/networks for Mercari’s marketplace app. Additionally, you will be responsible for system automation and incident handling, as well as working on development to improve performance, reliability, and scalability.
- Diagnose and solve technical issues
- Build and maintain automation tools for deployment, server provisioning, and other various operations
- Build and maintain monitoring environments to be used in incident detection and capacity planning
- Build and maintain various applications and middlewares, and work to improve their performance
- Build the infrastructure for microservices
- Basic understanding of TCP/IP, HTTP, and other network protocols
- Ability to trace and solve technical issues (performance drops, etc.)
- Programming ability sufficient to build any applications or middlewares necessary to fix bugs or improve system performance and reliability