About LINE Fukuoka
LINE Fukuoka is a subsidiary of LINE Corp. that was established in order to take advantage of the city’s unique initiatives. Our LINE SMART CITY FOR FUKUOKA project is part of a partnership agreement with the city itself, where we use state-of-the-art technology in areas like AI and Fintech to help make Fukuoka a richer, more convenient, and future-oriented “Smart City”.
About half of engineering team members come from overseas, and even if you’re not based in Japan, we welcome you to apply
We’ll teach you Japanese
We have a robust English support team and there are many English-speaking employees. Successful applicants without Japanese language skills will be required to attend a Japanese language course for at least the first three months to one year after joining LINE Fukuoka. The language course is sponsored by LINE and is an excellent opportunity to acquire the language.
Many of our development engineers work from home. In certain circumstances, we may ask you to come into the office though, so we require that you be able to come into the office by 11am.
A young city and workforce
Fukuoka has the highest proportion of young people of major cities in Japan. LINE Fukuoka’s workforce is also young, with 87% of employees in their twenties or thirties.
Our response to COVID-19
Although the work location is in Fukuoka, most engineers currently work from home, prioritizing prevention of COVID-19. After COVID-19 comes to an end, we plan to offer a work style that combines working from home and coming to work. More details are available in Japanese.
About the position
You will be involved with the development of, and operational work for, the LINE client and LINE Family App clients. We will assign the project to you after inquiring about your experience as an engineer and future career preferences.
Examples of Work
- Development of sticker/theme/emoji features in the LINE app.
- Development of LINE Family Apps (e.g. “LINE Sticker Maker”).
- Collaborating with the Planning and Design teams to bring ideas to life (e.g. through coding, creating unit tests, etc.).
- Performing app profiling and improving performance.
- Improving and maintaining a CI environment that supports stable development.
- Improving code quality through code reviews.
- UI/UX improvement.
Technology we use
Swift, Objective-C, Fastlane, XcodeGen, Bazel, Thrift, etc.
- Experienced in iOS native application development using Swift.
- Experience working in iOS native applications (3+ years).
- Basic knowledge in computer science (e.g. algorithm, data structure, asynchronous I/O, network).
- Work experience using version control systems (VCS), dependency management systems, and continuous-integration systems (CI).
- Motivation to learn Japanese.
Nice to haves
These aren’t required, but be sure to mention them in your application if you have them.
- Experienced in iOS native application development using Objective-C.
- Web/Native hybrid applications.
- UI/UX design and implementation (e.g. custom views and interactions).
- Experience in the coaching, management and/or leadership of a technical team.
- Open-source software development experience and/or participation in open source communities is also a plus.
- Strong interest and ability to learn any new technical topic.
Our annual compensation is about 6 - 12 million yen, depending on your experience and skills.