Socious is a community app for social change makers with a mission to accelerate social change by bringing people together. Many people are interested in contributing to social impact projects, but few of them can do so. We leverage this untapped potential by helping them contribute to society in an easy, fun way through a purpose-driven community app, AI recommendations, and community currency.
We’re just getting started
We started Socious in July 2021, so as an early employee you’ll be pivotal in shaping the direction of the company. We have enough runway to last us through the end of 2022, and are about to close a seed round to allow us to accelerate even faster.
Founded by a serial social entrepreneur
Our founder, Seira Yun, is a serial social entrepreneur with years of experience across countries in the Middle East, Africa and Asia leading teams within the ICRC, UNHCR, and social ventures. His lived experience as both a migrant and a pansexual queer person drives Seira’s passion for social justice.
High performance for high social impact
Our goal is to maximize social impact, not shareholder value or profit. Our social and financial returns are generally aligned, but if there is a conflict, we prioritize social returns.
Life first, work second
We believe that family and friends are more important than work. If there is a conflict between life and work, we should always prioritize life.
This means we offer flexible hours and leave (unlimited paid leave), and flexible work arrangements (full-time, part-time freelance, side-job, onsite, remote, etc.).
Remote work, if you want it
You’ll be able to work fully remotely, though we’ll meet up in person several times per year, so we’re looking for someone living in Japan. If you aren’t here yet, that’s fine: you’ll be able to work remotely until we help you secure a working visa.
International, English-friendly environment
We communicate in English, and so no Japanese ability is required, though there will be opportunities to use Japanese if you’d like to.
About the position
In this role, you’ll work closely with senior stakeholders to understand business goals and ensure that the development team & technologies used are aligned with these.
- Working closely with senior stakeholders to understand business requirements and help translate these into technical requirements for the development team
- Planning and documenting technical specifications for features or system design
- Designing, building and configuring applications to meet business process and application requirements
- Directing the development team in the design, development, coding, testing and debugging of applications
- Writing testable, scalable and efficient code and leading code reviews
- Mentoring junior team members and ensuring they adhere to determined software quality standards
- Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field
- Proven success as a technical team leader
- You are a good mentor & coach
- You possess good communication skills
10 - 20 million yen per year, plus stock options.