SpeakBuddy is an online service that helps users acquire language abilities. We believe that the spoken language sends a message not to the brain, but to the heart. Language learners need tons of speaking practice, but that costs too much money and time, so we created AI buddies on a smartphone. SpeakBuddy helps learners to acquire solid language skills, especially focusing on speaking skills.
We typically use both English and Japanese for internal communication. More than 20% of our members are from different countries including the US, the UK, Australia, Netherlands, Norway, and China. Also, many of our Japanese members speak conversational level English.
However, the users of our services are Japanese, so some Japanese reading and speaking proficiency would be a great asset, though not a hard requirement.
Overseas applicants welcomed
We accept overseas developers looking to relocate to Japan. In some cases, we may accept remote work from overseas, but we’ll handle this on a case-by-case basis.
Our response to COVID-19
We started full-remote work from April 2020, and we’re continuing that work style now. Members can also come to the office in Minami-Aoyama, but basically you can work anywhere you want. We haven’t decided the details definitively, but we might require members to commute to the office once a week / month after the COVID-19 situation ends.
About the position
We are looking for mid to senior level (not junior) backend engineers who can basically complete all of their tasks independently, but who are also enthusiastic about collaboration, discussion, and working on other projects with the team.
Requirements & responsibilities
- At least 2 years of backend service development experience or equivalent knowledge
- At least 2 years of experience with service operation and incident handling
- Proactive, self-starting, can-do mentality
- Enthusiastic about architecture / patterns / testable code
- Collaborate with a team to design, implement, test & release new features
Skills used in our product & development
- Kotlin and Python for the backend services
- React, Next.js and Vue.js for the web-front development
- Service hosting on AWS and GCP
- Terraform for infrastructure management
- Datadog for APM and log monitoring
- Git flow
- JIRA and Confluence for task/project management and documentation
Nice to haves
While not required, tell us if you have experience with any of the following.
- Kotlin with Spring Boot
- Machine learning knowledge / development skills
- Analytics & growth knowledge
- Able to understand & handle bug reports (in Japanese)
Our hiring process
- Check resume
- Candidates conduct and submit a small coding test project by the first interview.
- Initial interview with backend engineers (get to know each other & skill check)
- 2nd interview with engineering managers
- Online reference check
- Final interview with executives