SpeakBuddy is an online service that helps users acquire language abilities. We believe that the spoken language sends a message not to the brain, but to the heart. Language learners need tons of speaking practice, but that costs too much money and time, so we created AI buddies on a smartphone. SpeakBuddy helps learners to acquire solid language skills, especially focusing on speaking skills.
We typically use both English and Japanese for internal communication. More than 20% of our members are from different countries including the US, the UK, Australia, Netherlands, Norway, and China. Also, many of our Japanese members speak conversational level English.
However, the users of our services are Japanese, so some Japanese reading and speaking proficiency would be a great asset, though not a hard requirement.
Overseas applicants welcomed
We accept overseas developers looking to relocate to Japan. In some cases, we may accept remote work from overseas, but we’ll handle this on a case-by-case basis.
Our response to COVID-19
We started full-remote work from April 2020, and we’re continuing that work style now. Members can also come to the office in Minami-Aoyama, but basically you can work anywhere you want. We haven’t decided the details definitively, but we might require members to commute to the office once a week / month after the COVID-19 situation ends.
Our hiring process
- Check resume
- Initial interview with an engineer (get to know each other & light skill check)
- 2nd interview with engineering managers
- Online reference check
- Final interview with executives
We don’t require candidates to take any written tests or coding tests.
About the position
appArray is looking for server-side engineers who can help with the development of SpeakBuddy. The primary role is to develop and maintain SpeakBuddy’s backend services. However, as a back-end engineer in appArray, you will be responsible for a wide range of tasks. We work on machine learning, natural language processing, sound processing and automatic speech recognition. We maintain and monitor the infrastructure. We analyze users’ behavior to improve our services. We run through the PDCA cycle quite rapidly, so you must be comfortable with fast-paced development.
- At least 1 year of development experience in Java, Python or Ruby
- At least 1 year of operating and managing REST API based services
- Bachelor’s degree or 10-years work experience. (For work visa purpose)
- Strong will to learn new things and improve your current skill sets
- Development experience in other programming languages (Kotlin preferred)
- Web front-end development (Vue.js)
- Build and manage infrastructure on AWS and GCP
- Development experience in machine learning, NLP and ASR
- N2 or equivalent verbal skills in Japanese