Success in this role requires working directly and specifically in your area, but also regularly contributing to common code, standards, and practices. You and your team will be directly responsible for solutions for the platform in these key areas: CI/CD, Availability, and Observability.
This will require working with engineering teams on complex problems where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of multiple factors and wise trade-offs between competing factors when arriving at a solution. Success in this role requires a passion for helping others and making their lives better, you do this by simplifying complex systems to make them understandable and operable. You are able to effectively communicate decisions, ideas, designs, and operation of systems and services.
- Work with engineering teams as a subject matter expert on systems at scale, teaching them and helping them reach their goals.
- Drive continuous improvement in CI/CD pipeline by measuring and reducing the amount of manual operational work, currently: CircleCI, AWS CodeDeploy, and in-house orchestration tool written in Python.
- Define success criteria for PoC, drive prototype implementation, measure the success, and push it forward toward common practice.
- Help us measure and improve reliability across engineering teams.
- Be an active participant and internal evangelist for our shared processes.
- Investigate system performance, errors, and problems.
- A minimum of 5+ years working experience in Software Engineering or Systems Engineering role with Distributed Systems at scale.
Nice to haves
These aren’t required, but be sure to mention them in your application if you have them.
- Have experience operating services running in the cloud on AWS, or other public clouds or virtualized API-driven platforms.
- Have experience with distributed systems and operating them as they scale, including understanding their common failure modes.
- Have experience working as part of a distributed team and thrive in a highly collaborative and communicative work environment.
- Articulate with strong spoken and written English abilities by adopting language to the audience.
- Pride yourself on giving back to your community: open source contributions, speaking, teaching, mentoring, or helping others.