Mercari is a marketplace app that makes it easy for people to safely sell and ship their things. Having been downloaded over 100 million times, it is now among the largest peer-to-peer selling platforms globally.
Though we have over 1,800 employees, we still have a startup culture, where we encourage people to come up with big, crazy ideas, and to not be afraid of failure. Because the company is rapidly growing, you can set your own path, and there is enough transparency to allow our members to do so. For instance, at our all-hands meetings, every single member is encouraged to ask questions directly to our executive team.
We're a Japanese company, but are building a global work culture, and so we provide a great opportunity to experience a blend of Japanese and international culture. We relocate developers from around the world to join our team, and provide translation and interpretation to smooth communication between members.
We want our employees to be able to give 100% both inside and outside of the office, and our benefits reflect this. These include providing language education, financial support for childcare, and allowing you to pursue paid side gigs outside of working with us.
About the position
Although the Mercari API was designed and implemented as a monolithic API, we are working on migrating the API to microservices. This will allow us to divide responsibilities and make technological investments for a stronger system and organization capable of handling even greater expansion. Of course, we will continue to run our services as we implement these changes, and we aim to make daily improvements to provide an even better experience for our customers.
We are seeking backend engineers who can work proactively and independently during the team's current stage, taking ownership over various discussions, developing features, providing spec feedback, and making technical decisions.
- Design, development, and operation of Mercari's API and web app using Go and PHP
- Design, development, and operation of tools to support the customer support team and planning-related work
- Design, development, and operation of various microservices making up the Mercari API
- Lead the team's development
- Strong understanding of the company mission and values
- A minimum of 5 years backend software development, or equivalent, experience
- Experience with design, development, and operation of backend APIs using Go
- Knowledge of and experience with software test including unit testing, functional testing, e2e testing
- Knowledge of and experience with optimization of queries and data model design for the efficient usage of RDBMS and NoSQL databases.
- Cloud development experience (preferably GCP, or AWS)
- Experience with team development using Git/Github or similar version management systems
- Ability to design, develop and operate large-scale services in heavy traffic scenarios
- Experience with project management and/or team leadership