Founded in 2014 by entrepreneurs from Zipcar and Tesla Motors, Drivemode is fundamentally changing vehicle technology for drivers – we enable smarter and safer connected driving in any vehicle.
Drivemode has built a mobile-based connected vehicle platform which integrates directly with the vehicle to bring key communication and navigation features, while putting your vehicle’s data right at your fingertips. Our products are used by millions of riders and drivers in over 150 countries. In 2019 we were acquired by Honda as an independent subsidiary to integrate our platform directly into Honda vehicles around the world.
Small team that plays big
We’re a small team of 20 with offices in Silicon Valley and Tokyo. We’re a group of entrepreneurs who focus on speed, learning, flexibility, and using data to drive decision-making. Our team is very multicultural and actively encourages speaking up to share ideas or opinions, regardless of your job title. Our official language (spoken and written) is English. We love challenges, the bigger, the better. If that sounds like you, come join us.
Drivemode’s tech stack
Android: Kotlin, Java, Dagger 2, RxJava, gRPC, Gradle, Android Studio
iOS: Swift, SwiftUI, Xcode, Carthage
Server/Infrastructure: Node.js, NestJS, PostgreSQL, gRPC, Docker, Cloud Run, Firebase, PubSub, DataFlow, Google Cloud Platform
Version control: Git/GitHub
CI/CD: GitHub Actions (Self Hosted), DeployGate, Fastlane
Communication: Slack, Google Meet, Email
Project management: Jira Software, Trello
Analytics: BigQuery, Firebase Analytics, Jupyter, Pandas, scikit-learn
Others: Google Workspace, OneSky
Be the next Drivemoder
Joining our team means taking on the biggest challenges in vehicle technology today by bringing together modern software design with the next generation of hardware to improve the safety of millions on the road every day. To accomplish this, we need people who aren’t afraid to take on big, unique challenges to fundamentally improve the driving experience. We need entrepreneurial thinkers who can respond rapidly to change and explore new technologies. If that sounds like you, come talk to us.
Our response to COVID-19
Starting from March 2020, Drivemode has encouraged all employees to work remotely and avoid face-to-face communication unless it is absolutely necessary. During this time, Drivemode has provided support for employees with subsidies for improving work from home environments. Due to this unforeseen circumstance in our day-to-day life and also in the irregular immigration activity as well as air travel restrictions, we have decided to hold any application from outside of Japan unless with eligibility to work in Japan. We will continue to observe the situation and open positions to those that live outside of Japan once we confirm the safety.
Drivemode was already a “remote team” before COVID-19, and we’ll continue to be with offices in multiple locations. However, due to the nature of work that happens inside Drivemode, there is a need to be at the office together from time to time when developing new products that involve hardware prototypes. In the long-term we plan to gradually return to the office when it is safe to do so.
Our hiring process for engineer position
- HR Application Screen and Casual Discussion
- Coding Test (One or Two depending on the position)
- Video interviews – Usually three to four Interviews with the hiring team and the management
About the position
As an Engineering Manager, you will be responsible for creating and leading Drivemode’s multicultural engineering team. You’ll be committed to maximizing organization output in cooperation with product managers and other leaders to support the delivery of company goals and objectives in research, development, quality, deployment, and maintenance of our products.
We are looking for an engineering management professional with extensive knowledge and experience in organizational development and software project management as well as familiarity with mobile apps, backend and infrastructure technologies, who has a strong interest in leading and developing a diverse team in a diverse organization. We look forward to hearing from you!
You Will Do:
- Ensure efficiency across development process for several products and projects
- Enforce code quality / code reviews for better product developments as well as for motivating engineers on creativity
- Program management for the successful delivery of products
- Bridge teams with our parent company for smoother operations and communication
- Manage one of the top engineering teams in Tokyo
- Appropriately assign team members in positions to fulfil both personal growth of team members and company objectives
- Plan and execute training programs to further develop the potential of Drivemode’s Engineering team
- Mentor engineers for professional development and monitor their progress
Qualifications - Required:
- 5+ years of experience training and managing multicultural engineering teams
- Have managed engineering teams of 10 or more engineers
- Strong experience planning and managing software projects
- Hands on experience in Agile and Lean teams operations
- Hands-on experience in app development, Android or iOS, preferably both
- Familiar with backend and infrastructure technologies
- Ability to communicate across teams: Design, Marketing, Legal and other Engineering teams
- Language: Fluent in English
Qualifications - Plus:
- Language: Business level or higher in Japanese
- Experience working in and managing remote teams
- Experience working in wireless protocols such as WiFi and Bluetooth
- Experience in electronics