Indeed’s Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) organization spans the globe, with 60+ SREs in Austin, Seattle, San Francisco, Tokyo, Hyderabad, and Dublin. We are a rapidly growing and highly impactful engineering team applying software engineering techniques to production operations in order to maximize engineering velocity while guiding product teams to meet reliability goals.
Every month, over 250 million people visit Indeed in 60+ countries to help them find jobs, publish their resumes, and process their job applications. These people count on Indeed SRE to ensure Indeed’s products are available, fast, and working correctly to ultimately get hired. Are you ready for an opportunity that will improve people’s lives all around the globe, one job at a time?
SREs at Indeed are embedded directly with our product teams, working closely with them to design, code, test, run, and evolve the systems that help people around the world get jobs. We work closely with dozens of Indeed teams to drive adoption of modern reliability practices like SLOs, error budget policies, actionable alerts, follow-the-sun on-call, incident retrospectives, chaos testing, and end-to-end ownership.
SREs are crucial contributors to nearly every Indeed product team that has big traffic, big data, or high availability and performance requirements. Indeed’s rapid business growth and people growth continually create new opportunities for you to engage and make an impact. This environment provides ongoing professional development opportunities for SREs at every stage of their careers, from interns and new grads to architects and directors.
You will also discover ample opportunities for growth in several areas: improved technology skills, effective leadership, dedicated mentorship, creative design, strong communication skills, teamwork, and more.
Simply put, as an SRE, you will help Indeed build and operate fast and reliable products that help people get jobs. Are you up for the challenge?
- Design, develop, ship, and motivate the creation of software and systems to increase product reliability and organizational efficiency.
- Guide reliability practices through the entire software development lifecycle through activities like architecture reviews, code reviews, creating platforms and frameworks, capacity planning, and chaos testing.
- Maintain service health through monitoring and follow-the-sun incident response.
- Improve service reliability through blameless post-incident reviews and using code to prevent or respond to problem recurrence.
- BS degree in Computer Science, related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience writing code in Java, Go, Shell, Perl, Python, or a similar language.
- Experience in data structures, algorithms, and software design.
- Ability to debug, optimize code, and automate routine tasks.
- Strong interest in SRE topics like SLOs, resilience, scaling, performance, and more.
We get excited about engineers who
- love learning
- enjoy collaborating with teammates and partners
- have experience with a globally distributed team
- take initiative to solve problems using a scientific approach
- apply appropriate new technologies and processes
- can provide substantial feedback on distributed system designs
- have previous experience in an SRE or Production Engineering role
- have worked with highly available multi-region websites
- enjoy mentoring and guiding teammates
“If you really like looking into architecture and finding problems that may not be apparent now but down the line may be catastrophic, then you should work as an SRE.” Meghan, SRE, Indeed - Austin
The base salary range below represents the low and high end of the Indeed salary range for this position. Actual salaries will vary and may be above or below the range based on various factors including but not limited to location, experience, and performance. The range listed is just one component of Indeed’s total compensation package for employees. Other rewards include quarterly bonuses, Long Term Incentive Plan units, an open Paid Time Off policy, and many region-specific benefits.
Tokyo Base Salary Range:
Site Reliability Engineer 11,770,000 - 14,470,000 JPY per year
Senior Site Reliability Engineer 14,000,000 - 18,000,000 JPY per year