About LINE Corp.
At 83 million domestic users, or 65% of the population, LINE is Japan’s most popular messaging application. It is also popular throughout Asia, boasting approximately 186 million users globally.
Build Reliable Systems at Scale
You’ll have the opportunity to work on systems that are both highly scalable and reliable. For example, we use Apache Kafka to process over 360 billion messages a day, while keeping the cluster’s availability nearly 100% and less than 10 milliseconds response time.
About 40% of our engineers are non-Japanese. There are teams that don’t require any Japanese abilities, and for those wanting to improve their Japanese skills, we offer Japanese lessons.
Room to Grow
We’re a fast growing organization that’s full of young, enthusiastic engineers. We offer a leveling system with both individual contributor and management tracks, so regardless of how you wish to improve your skills, there’s room for you to grow within the company.
Healthy Work/Life Balance
We offer flextime so that you can set a schedule that is best for you. We encourage our employees to take vacations, and it’s not uncommon for some employees to take off several weeks in a row.
Our response to COVID-19
In response to COVID-19, we’ve introduced a number of initiatives to support our users in Japan and around the world. These include working with Japan’s Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare to offer remote consultations with medical professionals, and offering free one-on-one counseling for people who are suffering from anxiety and stress stemming from COVID-19.
During this crisis, we’re advising all our employees to work from home, moved to conducting recruitiment interviews over video chat, and have shifted all contracts to electronic form to allow those who handle contracts to work from the safety of their homes.
Due to the coronavirus pandemic we are currently facing difficulties applying for working visas and traveling into Japan is restricted. Under these circumstances we are currently unable to extend offers to candidates who are living outside of Japan or do not own a permit to work in Japan. However, we continue to track the situation and once it is safe to proceed with recruiting, we will again open positions to candidates who wish to work at LINE in Japan.
You can find more details about our initiatives in response to the spread of novel coronavirus here.
About the position
- Provide guidelines for and consult on LINE’s system and service architecture and design
- Develop security and authentication modules (e.g. FIDO and cryptography) for LINE’s services
- Research and study emerging security standards and technologies
To learn more about the kind of work you’ll do, see our presentations “Strong customer authentication & biometrics using FIDO” and “BITBOX: How to Secure Cryptocurrency Exchange”.
- Masters or equivalent work experience in relevant fields
- 3+ years of relevant work experience
- Experience programming in C/C++, Java, Python, etc.
- Experience with two or more of the following:
- Network protocols and secure network design
- Web application and browser security
- Android and iOS security
- Security risk assessments and penetration testing
- Authentication and access control; Applied cryptography and security protocols
- Development of security tools, automation or frameworks
- In-depth knowledge of AI technologies such as deep learning
- Experience in developing authentication systems
- In-depth knowledge of security vulnerabilities and hacking
- Knowledge of service operations
Ability to communicate in English, Japanese, or Korean. Bilinguals welcome.