About LINE Corp.
At 83 million domestic users, or 65% of the population, LINE is Japan’s most popular messaging application. It is also popular throughout Asia, boasting approximately 186 million users globally.
Build Reliable Systems at Scale
You’ll have the opportunity to work on systems that are both highly scalable and reliable. For example, we use Apache Kafka to process over 360 billion messages a day, while keeping the cluster’s availability nearly 100% and less than 10 milliseconds response time.
About 40% of our engineers are non-Japanese. There are teams that don’t require any Japanese abilities, and for those wanting to improve their Japanese skills, we offer Japanese lessons.
Room to Grow
We’re a fast growing organization that’s full of young, enthusiastic engineers. We offer a leveling system with both individual contributor and management tracks, so regardless of how you wish to improve your skills, there’s room for you to grow within the company.
Healthy Work/Life Balance
We offer flextime so that you can set a schedule that is best for you. We encourage our employees to take vacations, and it’s not uncommon for some employees to take off several weeks in a row.
Our response to COVID-19
In response to COVID-19, we’ve introduced a number of initiatives to support our users in Japan and around the world. These include working with Japan’s Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare to offer remote consultations with medical professionals, and offering free one-on-one counseling for people who are suffering from anxiety and stress stemming from COVID-19.
During this crisis, we’re advising all our employees to work from home, moved to conducting recruitiment interviews over video chat, and have shifted all contracts to electronic form to allow those who handle contracts to work from the safety of their homes.
You can find more details about our initiatives in response to the spread of novel coronavirus here.
About the position
Many of LINE’s services are oriented toward global services. At this very moment, there are new services being developed by LINERs around the globe. In order to provide stable and reliable services to customers, it is crucial to have high-level monitoring technology and systems. We focus on building these systems for in-house engineers. We are also creating a high-level development culture for enjoying the challenges of implementing and adopting cutting-edge technologies, and for building best practices and propagating them to the entire company.
- We are seeking Software Development Engineers excited by this opportunity to deal with massive data that set us apart from other companies. You should also be passionate about getting feedback from our outstanding fellow developers as well as influencing them directly.
- Development of a large-scale observability system used to monitor LINE services
- Development of large-scale Metric/Log Stream/Distributed Tracing/Events Logging collection pipeline and processing system
- Development and operation of self-developed Time Series Database to manage large-scale metrics Operating various large-capacity open source storage for storing and managing massive data
- Experience in developing and operating server-side applications
- Experience in using Linux
- Basic knowledge in computer science
- Ability to write clean and succinct code
- Growth mindset and a desire to learn, teach, and improve skills
- Experience with one of programming languages: Java, Go, Kotlin, Rust
- At least one Business-level language (Japanese or English)
Nice to haves
These aren’t required, but be sure to mention them in your application if you have them.
- Experience or interest in application monitoring or related development
- Experience or interest in improving distributed application performance
- Experience with Observability/Monitoring tools (Prometheus, Grafana, Influxdb, Datadog, New Relic, …)
- Experience with developing and operating frontend applications
- Love contributing to open-source softwares (Kafka, Elasticsearch, Cassandra, …) Ability to speak and write in Japanese or Korean or English fluently