Mercari is a marketplace app that makes it easy for people to safely sell and ship their things. Having been downloaded over 100 million times, it is now among the largest peer-to-peer selling platforms globally.
Though we have over 1,800 employees, we still have a startup culture, where we encourage people to come up with big, crazy ideas, and to not be afraid of failure. Because the company is rapidly growing, you can set your own path, and there is enough transparency to allow our members to do so. For instance, at our all-hands meetings, every single member is encouraged to ask questions directly to our executive team.
We’re a Japanese company, but are building a global work culture, and so we provide a great opportunity to experience a blend of Japanese and international culture. We relocate developers from around the world to join our team, and provide translation and interpretation to smooth communication between members.
We want our employees to be able to give 100% both inside and outside of the office, and our benefits reflect this. These include providing language education, financial support for childcare, and allowing you to pursue paid side gigs outside of working with us.
Our response to COVID-19
On July 1, 2020, in response to the spread of COVID-19, we introduced Mercari’s New Normal Work Style Trial Guidelines, that allows employees and teams to choose when and how often they work in the office, including the option to work entirely remotely.
About the position
The Microservices Architecture team oversees the whole backend architecture and provides guidance and help to each backend team on the design and implementation of microservices. We are responsible for ensuring a scalable and robust architecture for the Mercari backend API by providing architecture design, implementing core middlewares and services and introducing microservices development guidelines to the whole engineering organization.
- Design the overall architecture and roadmap for Mercari’s backend systems
- Design and implement common middlewares and core microservices
- Work with the Platform and SRE team to provide a robust microservices platform, introduce new datastores and plan database migration
- Work across multiple backend teams to help design, build and evolve microservices
- Help form a healthy organization structure, define guidelines on service development, testing, deploy and monitoring to the whole engineering organization
- Strong programming skills
- Experience building scalable and robust API
- Experience with SOA or microservices architecture design
- Good documentation and communication skill