Mercari is a marketplace app that makes it easy for people to safely sell and ship their things. Having been downloaded over 100 million times, it is now among the largest peer-to-peer selling platforms globally.
Though we have over 1,800 employees, we still have a startup culture, where we encourage people to come up with big, crazy ideas, and to not be afraid of failure. Because the company is rapidly growing, you can set your own path, and there is enough transparency to allow our members to do so. For instance, at our all-hands meetings, every single member is encouraged to ask questions directly to our executive team.
We’re a Japanese company, but are building a global work culture, and so we provide a great opportunity to experience a blend of Japanese and international culture. We relocate developers from around the world to join our team, and provide translation and interpretation to smooth communication between members.
We want our employees to be able to give 100% both inside and outside of the office, and our benefits reflect this. These include providing language education, financial support for childcare, and allowing you to pursue paid side gigs outside of working with us.
Our response to COVID-19
Along with many other countries, Japan is expanding entry/visa restrictions in line with the WHO’s decision to declare the COVID-19 outbreak a pandemic on March 11th. We are trying our best to minimize the impact, but inevitably we may be unable to continue the hiring process with every candidate at this time. Given the uncertainty of the situation, please kindly understand that we will be prioritizing local applicants (possessing valid working visas, etc.) to ensure a smooth hiring experience. Of course we are maintaining open channels of communication regarding individual cases and will monitor the situation in order to adjust our policies as circumstances change.
For more on the measures that Mercari has taken regarding COVID-19, please see this message from the CEO.
About the position
The Microservices Architecture team oversees the whole backend architecture and provides guidance and help to each backend team on the design and implementation of microservices. We are responsible for ensuring a scalable and robust architecture for the Mercari backend API by providing architecture design, implementing core middlewares and services and introducing microservices development guidelines to the whole engineering organization.
- Design the overall architecture and roadmap for Mercari’s backend systems
- Design and implement common middlewares and core microservices
- Work with the Platform and SRE team to provide a robust microservices platform, introduce new datastores and plan database migration
- Work across multiple backend teams to help design, build and evolve microservices
- Help form a healthy organization structure, define guidelines on service development, testing, deploy and monitoring to the whole engineering organization
- Strong programming skills
- Experience building scalable and robust API
- Experience with SOA or microservices architecture design
- Good documentation and communication skill