About Rapyuta Robotics
Rapyuta Robotics aims at building low cost, lightweight autonomous mobile robots with high-level intelligence distributed in the cloud, enabling such robots to offload some of their heavy computation and seamlessly learn and share experiences with one another.
Live your best life - at work and outside
We strive to create an environment that is open - inclusive and transparent and safe - for taking risks and being you! We work hard and relatively a bit long to make a dent in the universe, but we make sure we have time for our families, friends, and lives outside the office. With a diverse set of professionals ranging from mechanical engineering to machine learning, culture from more than 15 countries, and robots from AMRs to Arms, there is always something to learn and to be amazed!
We welcome overseas candidates
If you aren’t based in Japan yet, we’ll help you obtain a visa and provide relocation support. In addition to covering part of your airfare, we provide a fixed relocation fee of ¥100,000 for a single employee, and ¥200,000 for those with family.
Our response to COVID-19
Based on the work nature of our work with robotic software, it’s mandatory for most of the engineers to be on-site. While we’re still coming into the office, we’re aligning with whatever the government is requesting, such as requesting employees to wear masks and undergo temperature checks.
For candidates overseas, we’ll support your visa, but you’ll need to wait until travel restrictions are loosened to be onboarded.
About the position
Our Tokyo Engineering team is changing gears to meet the growing needs of our customers - from a handful of robots to hundreds of robots; from a small team to multiple squads. The team works closely with some of the premier enterprise customers in Japan to build state-of-the-art robotics solutions by leveraging rapyuta.io, our cloud robotics platform, and the surrounding ecosystem. The team’s mission is to pioneer scalable, collaborative, and flexible robotics solutions.
In this role, the senior software engineer will be responsible for:
- Building and leading a team of 6-10 people
- Working with the Business Development and Product team to understand customer needs and translate them to engineering requirements
- Leading the solution architecture in collaboration with our Staff and other senior engineers
- Ensuring the quality and timeliness of your deliverables - software and documentation
- Developing an in depth understanding of our products and technologies including their values propositions and business models
- Working with Product Managers and other Engineering Leads to identify and develop new product features to meet customer needs
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics, Robotics, or a similar field of study
- At least 6 years of hands on software development experience
- Expert proficiency in C++ 11 or above
- Experience in leading a team of engineers for at least 2 years
- Strong fundamentals and the drive to learn the intricacies of robotics domain
- Openness to collaborate with the customer’s engineering point of contact and the ability to empathize with their needs
- Comprehensive knowledge in one or more of the following topics: Robot Navigation, Motion planning, Machine Learning, Computer Vision, etc.
- Experience in designing and implementing production-grade multi-robot systems or other distributed systems
- Experience with cloud computing, web technologies and protocols (HTTP, WebSockets, etc), database technologies (RDBMS and NoSQL)
- Exposure to DevOps, TDD, and CI/CD practices
- Participant in robotic competitions, e.g. RoboCup, DARPA Grand Challenge, and/or contributions to open source projects
- Japanese language proficiency